Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIDGID DC4-1 Dust Collector meets Trashcan

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Okay, I have the paint figured out. (Krylon Orange) but WHERE did you get the bag with the Ridgid logo?
    I believe he printed and made a stencil from a .PDF file. Nothing about the DC is truly a RIDGID product. Looks awesome though!

Sorry for the late replies fellas, been out of town.

Okay, I have the paint figured out. (Krylon Orange) but WHERE did you get the bag with the Ridgid logo?
    I did indeed make a stencil from a pdf. Probably invested WAY too much effort in the thing, though the bag was the most straightforward mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    That looks like a nice solid table under your bandsaw. Did it help reduce the vibration? I ask because I have a Rigid saw, although it is pre-orange. Paul
    It did help a bit, but I think the stock blade is what's killing me now in terms of vibration. I put a link belt on, that helped the most. I now have maybe 50% less vibration that when it was new. I'm hoping a new blade will kill it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
    I did indeed make a stencil from a pdf. Probably invested WAY too much effort in the thing, though the bag was the most straightforward mod!
    LOL, awesome!

Now that is the zillion dollar question that has me hung up too??

Looks to me like you have a standard sized bag from someone on it ? Or is it an aftermarket bag?

I love what you have done and if I can get by using my standard bag that came with the DC I plan to do this .... like copying it all at that. Where does the royalty check go.

Seriously - I am doing if I can avoid adding a new cannister or bag. That would add over a Ben to something that maybe I don't need to do other than it would make the bag cleaning chore way easier.

This is the DC that I have and the bags are 1 mic. My worry would be if bag needs to be bigger if I replaced bottom with plastic as you have? Or continue to use BOTH bags and forget the plastic on the lower? Seems maybe I'd be emptying seldom anyway if what you say holds true for me too.
    If anyone knows for sure please let advise. Thanks

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC...cid=5590862217

"Looks to me like you have a standard sized bag from someone on it ? Or is it an aftermarket bag?

I love what you have done and if I can get by using my standard bag that came with the DC I plan to do this .... like copying it all at that. Where does the royalty check go.

Seriously - I am doing if I can avoid adding a new cannister or bag. That would add over a Ben to something that maybe I don't need to do other than it would make the bag cleaning chore way easier.

This is the DC that I have and the bags are 1 mic. My worry would be if bag needs to be bigger if I replaced bottom with plastic as you have? Or continue to use BOTH bags and forget the plastic on the lower? Seems maybe I'd be emptying seldom anyway if what you say holds true for me too.
    If anyone knows for sure please let advise. Thanks

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DC...cid=5590862217 "

================================================== ==
    Joel, I will take a stab at this and hopefully others will follow.
    I use the same PSI - some will say you have to go with either a cannister or over-sized top bag if you use a plastic lower. Then again if you are implementing this trash can w/ the PT baffle you will be having some additional SP and probably some air loss too somewhere at a joint. Personally I wouldn't fret it a bit but that is me.
    Why not just keep the bag on bottom? You might once in a great while have to empty it but they all seem to think the can gets almost all of it.

My unit is out of warranty now or close to it. I'd just use a top bag and plastic and trust it doesn't damage the motor. If I ran it for extended hours on end I may think differently.
    That is my .02 and not worth any more either

Just to be clear, the whole 9 yards is a modified Harbor Freight 2HP DC. NOTHING about it is from RIDGID.

The bag is the standard one that came with it, with a Sunday morning invested in "detailing" it. Sadly, the house move now looks like it's on, so I will have to dismantle the DC. MK II might well see it wall mounted.

Thanks to all for their kind comments. And to Phil Thien - THANK YOU!!!

Thanks Hugh and Bill - BTW Hugh, I'm thinking more and more that Pumpkin is "in".

Think I'll try out the plastic lower and stick with the stock bag above and if I sense it is taxing (what a horrible word today huh) the motor I'll switch back to the stock lower bad at that point.

And I guess I too owe the Big Thanks to Phil myself as when I finish writing the checks to both the state and Feds in a hour I have no choice but to do the best I can with what I got as I "ain't" got anything left to work with in the checkbook.
    Brutal year with that AMT nailing me on both returns. I'm hurting and about ready to cry