View Poll Results: What is your job "status?"

Voters
750. You may not vote on this poll
  • Work full time from MY shop

51 6.80%
  • Work full time from A shop (not my own)

21 2.80%
  • Work full time (not woodworking-related)

474 63.20%
  • Work from home (not woodworking-related)

47 6.27%
  • Retired (from woodworking or similar)

11 1.47%
  • Retired (from non-woodworking or similar)

134 17.87%
  • In school

12 1.60%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: What is your job?

I work for a large east coast railroad for the past 7 years now. I am a Locomotive engineer as well as a conductor. The economy slowing down took my hands off the throttle and put me back on the ground with a radio and a lantern.

I love what I do, but it is one of the most poorly managed corporations... yet they still manage to turn billions a year in profits.

I have powder coated heavy equipment professionally, drove the big brown truck around town for almost 6 years, hung interior trim and case work for almost 5 years, driven forklifts, and , by the time I was 17 years old, I was a ASE certified auto mechanic.

If I had the talent, I would have loved to been a tattoo artist...or if I had the means, I would have been a architect. Funny how life gets in the way of your dreams though.

12 years as a Pharmacist and now work for a Pharmacetical company.

Had lots of time off in Pharmacy - 3 to 4 12 hr days but now the M-F grind limits the shop to a few nights and some weekends.

The 2 1/2 year old also cuts in the shop time.

42 years as a Locksmith for a large school district, 35 schools and 5 other sites. Second job for 28 years working as a dealership motorcycle and power products mechanic. Moved between several brands but the work was about the same. When the last dealership went broke, I just cut everything back to just the school district. Health will force retirement within a few months.

Dar

full time trim carpenter/ custom millworker. USMC. SSGT 2001-2007 0311/0321

40 years in the wholesale meat industry, the last 30+ as part owner in a smaller niche company. Started woodworking as summer jobs during college. Found out it is in my blood (Dad spent many years as a carpenter to supplement farming). Many home improvements plus various projects along the way.

Retired Iron Worker and Fabricator for 33 yrs.

Registered Nurse

I'm an RN specializing in home infusion therapy. I worked in ER and ICU previously as a nurse, and in psychiatry as a tech. All I know is health care (started working in a hospital right out of high school in 1975). I've always wanted to build furniture but never lived in a home suitable for a shop. Now I have that shop, a huge garden and hothouse, and more landscaping than I need to do.

Nothing quite as fancy as some, but I work on a technical help desk for a Natural gas supplier that also does sales, service and repair of HVAC and assorted appliance's.
    We have a service dept of over 375 techs and I get to try and help solve their problems in the field, also assist our phone reps and customers too.

Been at this since 1978 and retirement is getting sooooo close...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Professional Woodworker - half the time

I voted "Work full time from My shop" which is almost correct but not quite.

I was a full-time owner/operator of a custom woodworking shop years ago. Then went on to other things.

Currently I have 2 full time professions if that is possible.
    I work offshore on oil rigs and platforms as a Protective Coatings Inspector. That covers everything from paint to thermal sprayed aluminum to asphalt to whatever. I work most of the year 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. When in the 'off' mode, I run a full-time custom woodworking business. This is a real business not a game. I lease a commercial building, I have a pick-up truck and a 16 ft box truck dedicated to the business. I have part-time employees and I make a decent living from it.
    Somewhere inbetween all of this madness, I find time to sail.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

A farmer

I graduated from Iowa State University in 1973 as an Industrial Engineer and then worked for Pella Window Co for 18 months. Couldnt take being inside all of the time and had athe opportunity to start farming with my father. I eventually bought him out and have been farming for 35 years. I grow 800 acres of corn and soybeans. Mostly seasonal work so it gives me a lot of shop time and am also building a house on the north shore of Lake Superior, 375 miles away, not the handiest job but worth it. I have been making things out of wood for as long as I can remember.

Mechanical engineer by degree, but I have been an AP photographer, pilot, management consultant and now EVP-Operations for a manufacturing company.

Eventually I learned that I was better off maximizing my earnings potential, and being able to enjoy my hobbies without financial constraints, than I was trying to make my hobbies my job...

Started a custom cabinet and furniture shop 25 years ago. However for the last 5 or 6 years I've been an R&D designer/machinist/fabricator that designs/fabricates & repairs specialized production machines. Shop is mostly just expensive tool storage these days.

President/Founding Partner Design Firm

Electrical Engineer since 1981. Worked with Air Force and NASA for about 16 years. Started my own firm in 1995 with 20 people presently on staff. We do medical, jails, schools, data centers, banks, commercial....you name it. The firm is licensed in 46 states and Puerto Rico. We have worked in Europe and Central America as well. Been side line wood working for about 34 years. Built both of my houses on afternoons and weekends. Both are log homes......great big hand cut dovetails!

I'm an engineer by training and now general manager of a business at a high tech microprocessor company. I've been woodworking since I was 8 years old. In my day job I push powerpoint and sell ideas for the future all day. I love coming home and doing something with my hands, something concrete where I can feel and touch the results...joe

Journeyman Lineman for Middle Tennessee Electric out of Franklin, Tennessee.