View Poll Results: What is your job "status?"

Voters
750. You may not vote on this poll
  • Work full time from MY shop

51 6.80%
  • Work full time from A shop (not my own)

21 2.80%
  • Work full time (not woodworking-related)

474 63.20%
  • Work from home (not woodworking-related)

47 6.27%
  • Retired (from woodworking or similar)

11 1.47%
  • Retired (from non-woodworking or similar)

134 17.87%
  • In school

12 1.60%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your job?

Medical Lab equipment repair....have tool box will travel. Just 10 years away from the big R. Hobbie right now building a shop to keep me busy.

25 years as a welder/fabricator.

I'm an insurance damage appraiser and part time preacher. I work from home...the insurance part...not the preaching part. I don't have nearly enough time to get out to the shop and build things but I'm working on it.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Estate Broker and a weekend Wood Working Warrior....

I work in IT as a network tech, PC tech and any other thing that has a power cable on it at Federal Express for the last 26 years and before that I was a field tech for Xerox for 18 years.

Woodworking is a hobby and I am looking at retiring in a year or so.

Customer service. fun.

Pilot/Engineer - Fixed wing maintenance 4 years, Helicopter Pilot & Engineer going on 34 years... (now I feel old...)

Woodworking is just fun! Getting my shop set up with heat for this winter, life will be good!!

Blog Entries
    Currently Quality,Environmental,Safety & Health Region Manager for Texas Region for Emerson Process Management. I've been with the company going on 31 years and have held many positions, this being the latest. I've been WWing since I was a kid. My degree is in Industrial Arts.

I trained as a wood boatbuilder for eight years. The last twenty five years I've been a marine surveyor/consultant. I also perform damage investigations for marine underwriters.

This is within the pleasure boat boat industry so I examine power and sailboats for structural, mechanical and system condition. With sailboats I go aloft and examine the entire rig system, much of it with a magnifying glass.

I would love to retire and make boxes in my shop. Yeah I know, a fantasy.....

Cheers,

Kent
    Last edited by Kent Parker; 04-02-2010 at 9:12 AM.

Software developer / manager for statewide data systems in CA. Started woodworking to build something I could hold in my hands...

What is your job

G.I.S. (Geographic Information Science) Coordinator; Computerized Mapping, Spatial Analysis, and Asset Management. I'm also Chief of Permits and Inspections for the Public Works Department. 36 yrs. with 8 yrs. to go till I can be a Full Time Woodworker. Counting the days!
    My true love is building Period Style Furniture in my basement.

Professional woodworker here. I specialize in children's theme rooms. Why wait till I retire to do what I love?

I just retired from 27 years at a NASA Ames research center aerospace laboratory. My main job was writing cockpit displays for research aircraft and the world's biggest, maybe best, flight simulator. If that sounds like a fantastic job...it was.
    Before that, I built musical instruments for a living. 7 wonderful years and now I get to go back to it!

Retired Carpenter

I have been in construction all my working years. I've been in the Carpenters Union (local 212 Cleveland) for over 35 years. I'm retired and I'm glad I don't have to try to find work. Most of the carpenters I know are struggling to find enough work to live on. Ohio has a higher unemployment rate than the National average. I'm sure that, things will pick up eventually, the early 80's were almost this bad.

RETIRED since April 1st, 2004. I miss the people, but not the drive to work and back.

Spent 35 years as a skilled tradesman in the instrumentation field at the Ford Rouge plant.

Installed, and maintained process control systems for industrial equipment such as boilers, paint ovens, heat treating, compressors, building management systems, steel and glass making. The list goes on.

Job required a thorough knowledge of electronics, pneumatic controls, computer controls, mechanical equipment, machine shop tools.

Started building a wood working shop after retiring, and have half a garage full of quality equipment. I enjoy building things for family and friends.

My other hobby is building and flying kites. I have collected over 100 of various types. Have competed professionally in stunt kite competitions.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night