Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate (and I mean Ultmate) Shop Stool

The Ultimate (and I mean Ultmate) Shop Stool

Howdy everyone,

I thought you might enjoy seeing the completed pictures of my latest creation, which I dubbed, "The Ultimate Shop Stool."

Built out of cherry, mostly 8/4 wood. Overlapping dado joints and a drop-leaf writing surface for one of the arms.

Enjoy!

"Woodworking is the art of turning big scratches into little ones."

-- Scott Morrison, chairmaker

Scott - nice chair. How did you "cup out" the seat?

Beautiful piece! And, how did you gouge out the seat?

the seat

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've built my share of seats, so I used the same method I always use.

I start with a Holey Galahad aggressive carbide wheel, follow it with 24 grit grinding disk and lastly a 40 grit pneumatic ROS. I can go from glued-up wood to a finished seat in 9 minutes (my record), but normally don't like to work that fast.

Hope this answers your questions. Cheers!

Great job! Love the way the writing area portion is hinged/able to fold out of the way.

Beautiful. No cup holder?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Really gorgeous! I like the selection of wood for the back slat.
    I also really like the leg design. But I am not sure what is splayed? Obviously something is because otherwise the back legs would connect to the front legs instead of the cross-brace.

Very cool!
    Salem

cup holder...

Myk, funny you should mention that. I designed one version with a cup holder. How cool is that? I have it built into the writing surface.

Salem, there isn't really a "splay", per se. Since the seat is more narrow in the rear than the front, the stretchers must either be installed on an angle, or connected to the front stretcher. But all of the legs are at 90-degrees to the seat...no splay.

Thanks for the comments fellas!

That's a really nice stool! I enjoyed reading about your technique for shaping the seat. When you build another one it sure would be helpful and much appreciated if you would do a pictorial tutorial of the steps that you described. Nine minutes from start to finish! THAT is amazing. I'd really like to learn how to do that (not that I'm shooting for the nine minutes, though)

Thanks for posting....
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Very nice work...I need one of them for my shop for sure. Great design as well. All around just great craftsmanship! Belongs in the projects page as well.

Ah, the perspective confused me. Very cool. But I have to agree with Myk, it is hard to call it "Ultimate" without a cup holder .
    Salem

I'll take two Very impressive and nicely built!!!

Wow great job. And to think that I was up till 10 o'clock trying to center a router in a table.

I am soooo out of my league here.

Very cool, form and function.

Looks great, but wouldn't work for me, I'd just sit there wondering why no work was getting done. Kinda hard to write over the hinge?