Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper guys chime in

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Not sure how that is possible in all cases Randy? Some profiles allow you to simply raise the cutter, with others the full profile will disappear in the wrong stock thickness. I guess a cove or some ogee profiles work, but anything with a bead and small fillet gets weird, and I figure you still need the back cut to have both front and back of the panel flush, and if the OP is using 3/4" panels in 3/4" doors frames, that will be the case.

As to the panel tongue, I forgot to mention, pretty much every cutter I have used allows at least a 3/8" tongue depth and many will allow as much as 9/16" which you might use for entry doors. Not usually an issue.
    Peter, I actually meant the 5/8 cutter, with the back-cutter for 3/4 in. material. My fault.

I have been looking for deals on the RP2000 for awhile now but I bought the RP1000 on ebay for $15 (gloat) and $15 shipping in November so now I mostly just look for knives. The $10 5/8 "D" knives made me $50 on two doors last week so I am clear on that head now.

I use EC260 freud rail and stile cutter setup with the RP1000 and it works great.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I have been looking for deals on the RP2000 for awhile now but I bought the RP1000 on ebay for $15 (gloat) and $15 shipping in November so now I mostly just look for knives. The $10 5/8 "D" knives made me $50 on two doors last week so I am clear on that head now.

I use EC260 freud rail and stile cutter setup with the RP1000 and it works great.
    Let me take this opportunity to say "YOU SUCK"! I got free shipping on the RP2000! I think its the best deal in panel cutter heads going, especially your deal.

Thanks for the info Mike. I did order the Freud PR1000 and the back cutter and I ordered one 5/8 cutter (RP-D) also I ordered 2 more cutter blades for 3/4 only because Amazon had them for $18 each. However, I did not order the head and back cutter and the 5/8 blade from amazon because, when I put them in my cart the PR1000 it was $155 and I went to my room (I am on an offshore oil drilling rig) to get my wallet, they went up on the PR1000 to $175. So I did some internet surfing and found Routerbitworld.com and order it from them for $139, with only$1 shipping so I ordered the back cutter and 5/8 knive also.
    For everyone who "chimed in" on this thread I want to thank you. You taught me a lot. And saved me money, cause I was going to buy the wrong set up for the result that I was looking for.

Good deal Tom. Which back cutter did you get? I got both squAre
    edge and cove but use only the cove. Its a great setup you will enjoy.

Cove back cutter

Peter, I bough the cove back cutter, cause that was the look I was used to from making doors on my router table. I am glad to hear that that is your preference also. I bough two books on shapers, and I am taking it slow to learn the tool safely, These things are defently in their own league. So I will probbly be "picking your brain" from time to time, hope you don't mind. By the way I am going to pick up a 1 hp power feeder as soon as I build up some more wood working spending "points" from the boss. She is wanting a new office desk, hey that could be a good excuse for a power feeder? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Welch View Post
    Peter, I bough the cove back cutter, cause that was the look I was used to from making doors on my router table. I am glad to hear that that is your preference also. I bough two books on shapers, and I am taking it slow to learn the tool safely, These things are defently in their own league. So I will probbly be "picking your brain" from time to time, hope you don't mind. By the way I am going to pick up a 1 hp power feeder as soon as I build up some more wood working spending "points" from the boss. She is wanting a new office desk, hey that could be a good excuse for a power feeder? What do you think?
    Tom sounds like great excuse for a feeder, you are going to really like your shaper, I just took delivery of a pm2700 last week. I love this machine, lots of power and the fence is so nice for setup. The only bad part of my purchase and you are not going to believe this....... is I have $210 dollars worth of brand new amana panel raisers for 3/4" material!! I bought a cove and a ogee panel raiser, right now I'm REALLY wishing this post had come up 2 weeks prior. I'm hoping I can return the cove raiser but I used the ogee so...Lesson learned i guess.

My panels stand proud of my frame no matter how I set up the cut, I dont want this as I use my drum sander to make everything flat. I'm really liking the look of the rp2000 kit, it looks nice.

BTW raising panels in one pass is really cool.

Yea Jeff I almost feel your pain, I came so close to ordering before I started this thread, so glad I did waited and asked the guys here. As a matter of fact, I have learned so much here at Sawmill Creek. Wish I had discovered it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    The only bad part of my purchase and you are not going to believe this....... is I have $210 dollars worth of brand new amana panel raisers for 3/4" material!! .
    Don't feel bad Jeff. I had to stop and really think about exactly which cutters I use for what to answer the op and I theoretically do this for a living. The manufacturers really could do a better job of explaining this. They have panel raisers for 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" material and they don't show you a diagram of just what these produce. A few simple diagrams would clear the whole thing up, but I can't find any on any of the manufacturers sites. Just basic profiles with few numbers and no mention of how to stack with back cutters.

For instance can you tell me in three seconds or less, top of your head, which cutter makes double sided panels for 1 3/8" passage doors in 3/4" stock, a sort of shallow semi raised look? Neither could I when I bought one (its a 1/2" stock profile), I had to call my tooling company and say "Um, duh, here's what I;m doing, what do I need". I wish they had a "How to stack a shaper for Dummies" book. I'd buy a copy.

Safety

Does your shaper have a "Sawstop" device installed?

If not, you're not being safe. Shame on you!!!!!!!

A lawsuit properly applied will correct the clear oversight of the manufacturer of your shaper.

Sorry. Couldn't resist the opportunity for humor.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Don't feel bad Jeff. I had to stop and really think about exactly which cutters I use for what to answer the op and I theoretically do this for a living. The manufacturers really could do a better job of explaining this. They have panel raisers for 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" material and they don't show you a diagram of just what these produce. A few simple diagrams would clear the whole thing up, but I can't find any on any of the manufacturers sites. Just basic profiles with few numbers and no mention of how to stack with back cutters.

For instance can you tell me in three seconds or less, top of your head, which cutter makes double sided panels for 1 3/8" passage doors in 3/4" stock, a sort of shallow semi raised look? Neither could I when I bought one (its a 1/2" stock profile), I had to call my tooling company and say "Um, duh, here's what I;m doing, what do I need". I wish they had a "How to stack a shaper for Dummies" book. I'd buy a copy.
    Thanks Peter, makes me feel a little better, in my eyes ordering the correct cutters was a no brainer, yep I'm using 3/4" material! thats the cutter for me.

Good thing the rail and stile cutters arent made that way or I'd be out another $200.00.

I really do argree a few simple diagrams would clear up the whole mess.