Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish Blanket Chest - Cherry & Awesome Maple

Amish Blanket Chest - Cherry & Awesome Maple

I just finished this Amish blanket chest for my son's school auction. It sold for $1,700

Details about the project:

• All solid cherry construction
    • I did use "frame & rail" construction, but I was concerned about the strength (the box weighs ~50 lbs) so I also used pocket screws to add some extra strength.
    • The cedar lining hides the pocket screws When I cutting/installing the cedar... all I could think of was my childhood pet hamster... his cage was always lined with cedar shaving.
    • The cedar lining is the tongue & groove stuff for closets... bought it at Menard's for $19! (it was about 1/4" thick)
    • The maple inserts are 1/2" Baltic birch veneered with some truly awesome maple... all from one piece of veneer (which was 13"x8ft!) The photos don't do it justice, but it is covered with bird eyes (equal density throughout) with quilting throughout the entire piece! Very 3-d!
    • I used water-based lacquer on the maple... I find oil finishes make the maple too yellow for my tastes. The cherry is finished with Min-Wax wipe-on poly (4 coats)
    • The closure was the great surprise. I bought it at Rocklers for $29 (it is very high quality and made in Japan) You can push the lid closed and the the little closure gracefully slows the lid down and closes with a very slight "thump".... very NICE!

Comments welcome!!!

THANKS for looking!!!

-jj

Very nice, clean lines. That maple is amazing. I like the contrast with the cherry.

Cool. I like the arched stretcher - did the same on my Walnut + QS Sycamore chest.....but the scalloped detail on the legs - that never occurred to me. Wish it had, but now it is stored away in brain cells for next time.

Well done.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Beautiful work on the blanket chest Joseph.
    And congrats on auction. I bet your son was very proud...

Nice use of the maple and cherry, That is one nice chest.

That is one beautiful blanket chest. Love the contrasting woods!

Somebody got a deal on that!

Very nice
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful! I like the wood, workmanship, and design. I love the grain continuity, that really adds a lot to the piece.

Absolutely fabulous work Joseph! It is beautiful.

Great job Joseph. Love the maple. Really inspired by that piece.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Really nice job, Joseph, and a really nice design. And finally, you're to be congratulated for your generosity for going to that amount of work for a charity auction.

One comment if you decide to make one for yourself - no doubt the under-lid battens will be enough to keep the top flat enough, but remember that the screw holes in the battens will have to be slotted to prevent the top from splitting (you might already know this - your description doesn't say). I've used several of those lid-closers (I bought mine from Lee valley, but I'm sure it's the same - same price, and same appearance as well as made in Japan) - they're really, really cool. Enough so that I spent several minutes just opening and closing them to watch them work.

Very nice work. Is that based on the plan from Wood Mag? I made a similar chest a while back from western red cedar and birch, nowhere near as nice looking as this beauty.

Excellent design and well carried out Joseph. It is quite beautiful wtih it's clean look of cherry and maple which contrasted well. And extra Kudo for doing it for the school auction..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Simple and gorgeous!

Very nice looking. Did you get the plans from anywhere? I would be interested in making something similar for my wife for our first anniversary. Thanks