Thread: Hope it works out--G0634Z!

Hope it works out--G0634Z!

Well, I pulled the trigger on a G0634Z jointer/planer yesterday, got an e-mail saying it would be here middle of next week, when I'm in D.C. on business. Called the freight company and told them my schedule, and they said no problem.

Hope it's all I want it to be. It will free up a 3' x 8' assembly bench that has been used as the infeed/outfeed for my current planer. I can now use the bench for assembly space, which is badly needed. I'll be selling the G0490 8" jointer, and giving my son the planer. I was pretty sure I wanted the combination for space and jointing widths, but read some posts last month that made me very nervous about spiral head inserts (on several different manufacturer's machines) and problems with heads.

Had the president of Grizzly address my concerns a couple weeks ago, here, so we'll see how I'm feeling about it in a couple weeks or so.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Alan, I just saw your original post, which I somehow missed the first time.

Sounds like you have gotten good advice, and I'll back up what you have heard. I have the G0634 and have been 100% pleased with the cutterhead. I've had the machine about 1.5 years, run lots of hardwood through it, and have had zero problems and a consistently good finish. I've not even rotated the cutters yet.

Good luck!
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Ben, thanks for the feedback. Makes me feel a little more comfortable about the purchase.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Alan, Any comments on your satisfaction with the machine? I am in the exact same boat as you, 490 I want to sell and replace it/lunchbox planer with a combo machine, plus give me a little more room.

Did you get a mobile base? If so, which one?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

These look like a good machine but why is it 45 1/2 inches wide?

John,
    It is hard to see in the picture, but the top mechanism for the fence sticks back a ways, giving it 41" deep.

Alan, also snagged the G0634Z over a month ago, they dropped the price down just that few hundred dollars and that was enough for me! I have been drooling on that page of the website for years. Delivery was fast, dolly guy gave me and my buddy some help getting it in the garage, and the crate and machine was solid and intact.
    Once I opened everything up and folded back the jointer beds I found the rotating point where the planer dust collection hood attaches to the body of the machine was broken, and the hood was just hanging inside by one attachment. Bummer! Then, when I went to put the pork chop guard on top I discovered some part was not machined well and the guard just hung on the bed, no matter how high I positioned it on the stud. Called customer service, really helpful, discussed and determined what parts needed replacing. After some internal discussion they decide to send me both a new dust hood and guard stud assembly.
    Upon receipt, about a week, I found that the dust hood piece they had sent was not the piece that connected it to the machine, there is actually an intermediate piece between the hood and body. I did not have the parts list with me at the jobsite when i called in the order but was so certain that the customer service rep and I were talking about the same piece, I had let it go. Unfortunately, it wasn't and we weren't. They also included a whole new pork chop, though that wasn't part of the deal. No complaints, but in the long run i would really like to switch up to a european style guard, so two guards is a bit superfluous.
    Busy work week kept me from following up immediately. Shot an email over early Wednesday last week with my info, story, and starting to express a little concern about how difficult this part was going to be to replace. As I have been admiring this marvelous machine relegated to paperweight status, I have also started hoping the tech support can do a better job of walking me through what appears to be the dis-assembly of the whole cutter head and feed shaft assembly than they did at helping me select which part i was looking for.
    Got a form response from customer service friday afternoon saying that a service rep would contact me in the next two business days. Hasn't happened yet, but hopefully tomorrow. I am trying not to be impatient, and any statements in that vein are only a by product of me being super psyched to put this thing to the test.
    Was going to save the whole story to do a big "I've been stalking the Creek for years/gloat with pictures/thanks to all the people with all those great ideas, information, and projects" but saw your timely post and had to hop on with comments about my experience. Good luck on your end!

Blog Entries
    Alan, oh Alan? How has the machine worked out?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

9. First post on Sawmill Creek. Planning on pulling the trigger on the Grizzly G0634Z myself. Would probably go with the JET with helical cutterheads if they were on sale for $2500 like they were in Feburary but with the $2999 price tag I'll opt for the extra $600 to buy wood and tools. I am planning on trying the following casters, the big drawback is the 2 3/4 inch height added.
    http://www.greatlakescaster.com/grea...-NYP-S-M12.php

These are ~$16 each and rated for 220 lbs rolling and 500 lbs when the pads are lowered.

They have some that are rated for 500 lbs rolling but they are ~$38 each

I got the HTC-3000for my 634Z. Works great and is probably the easiest to move tool in my garage, despite being one of the heaviest.

Of course, I had to borrow an engine hoist to get the thing on the base, but you are going to have a hard time putting a base under that beast regardless.