Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DDD (Dust Deputy Disappointment)

Thumbs down DDD (Dust Deputy Disappointment)

I set up a Dust Deputy and was disappointed. To see how well it worked, I dumped the contents of my vacuum on the floor and then picked it up using the vacuum with the Dust Deputy.

What I was picking up was a mixture of fine sawdust and some coarser sawdust from a routing operation.

As long as I proceeded VERY slowly, everything went well with everything going to the Dust Deputy and very little to the vacuum. When I went at the normal speed that I usually do with the vacuum alone, more than half ended up in the vacuum (including on the filter in the vacuum).

Based on the above, it appears that the Dust Deputy has some uses, but NOT as a direct replacement for my vacuum.

Dan, what size vac are you using on it and what do you have it mounted to.

I have one and am very happy with it, it will not handle a planer but it takes care of my router table and general clean up just fine. I have it on a 6 HP Ridgid.

Blog Entries
    Can you post a pic of your set up? I love mine and have no problems with it.

+1 on my Dust Deputy that I have hooked up to my Festool CT-22. It doesn't slow me down at all, and the hose end right at the vacuum is clean and dust free. Everything is basically going into the collection box as designed. As others have asked, what is your set-up/vacuum?
    Last edited by Callan Campbell; 04-02-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: add-on info

Blog Entries
    +1 here too. 6.5 (yeah right) HP Ridgid, 25'lead hose, very little makes it to the vac can.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Something does sound amiss here.

Most of those types of separators are made to work with typical machine generated amounts of dust. Too much dust in the airflow seriously degrades the performance. If I can find the link to the article I read this in I will post it.

I'll be watching this thread closely, I've considered a dust deputy till I can get a proper DC setup. So I'm curious to know what the issue might be. I'd hate to spend $100 plus build a rolling cart for something that isn't really helpful.

The math gets harder for me when I consider the 2HP harbor freight DC that frequently seems to have a $140 coupon...decisions decisions, but I digress.

Are you sure you don't have a leak in your bucket somewhere?
    I have my homemade mini-cyclone system and have tried the exact same thing you tried the first time with a clean filter and nothing (visible) went to the filter compartment.

Do you have the hoses connected to the correct inlets on the DD? Hose from vaccuum to top port on DD?

I have one and the suction is plenty. I have it hooked to a Dayton (large) shop vac. It does a perfect job. I need to build a platform with wheels to put them on, as the bucket keeps turning over. I give the design and performance 5 stars. As far as the hoses, they sux. The lid keeps popping off and the cost is way to high!! this item should be a $30 item not $100 or $59. I will have to spend money to get better hoses and get a different container. I give that 1 star. I'll have $135 in it when I get the bugs out. It ain't worth it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Ludden View Post
    Most of those types of separators are made to work with typical machine generated amounts of dust. Too much dust in the airflow seriously degrades the performance. If I can find the link to the article I read this in I will post it.
    I would like to read this article. I tried out a similar unit but I found that the cyclone would clog up with shavings from hand planes. As my usually mess includes hand plane shavings I found it pretty useless for general clean up around the workbench. It would also clog up when ever I sucked up stuff that was stringy, like tape or paper. Once the cyclone clogged it would just fill the filter. This wasn't a DD so I am untested in hearing if the DD will work with bigger stuff than just dust.
    The Plane Anarchist

I've not had any problems with mine. Works are advertised. Would buy again.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    Do you have the hoses connected to the correct inlets on the DD? Hose from vaccuum to top port on DD?
    +1 on hoses hooked up backwards maybe? I cant believe how well the DD works. Mine's on a mobile cart and hooked up to a compact 6.0 hp shopvac. The only thing i resent is the quality. I wish I would have purchased the metal one.

Are you guys sucking up hand plane shaving size stuff or just dust?
    The Plane Anarchist