Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DDD (Dust Deputy Disappointment)

I just got mine, the one designed for the Festool vacs, and it was very impressive off the start. I just cleaned off the top of my workbench, but could see it would be all that I would want.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Warta View Post
    I'll be watching this thread closely, I've considered a dust deputy till I can get a proper DC setup. So I'm curious to know what the issue might be. I'd hate to spend $100 plus build a rolling cart for something that isn't really helpful.

The math gets harder for me when I consider the 2HP harbor freight DC that frequently seems to have a $140 coupon...decisions decisions, but I digress.
    Though not a big fan (no pun) of most HF stuff, the DC is a value. I have it, and am pleased with it after replacing the oe bags with 1 micron felted bags from Highland Woodworking.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Dan - I have mine in front of a craftsman 5hp 16 gal vac. Only reason I got dust in mine is because I wasn't paying attention and let the bucket get full. I used a piece of MDF cut down, and cut out 4 holes for the wheels of my vac to sit in. Then I put some casters on the bottom so if I need to use my vac around the house, I can just take it right off.

Haven't had anything but "as advertised" from my DD. I hook it to my table saw, band saw, planer, joiner, router, or wherever and haven't had anything get into my vac. How's the seal around the lid?

I have the clearvue mini cyclone. It works great. A collectors item now!

There are other variables you need to check before you are certain it is a design error. It was already mentioned to check for leaks. The smallest leak from the bucket side will impair performance. Also, how good is your shop vac working otherwise. Just throwing some stuff out since your experience is opposite the majority of others.

I also agree that the DD is over priced for the quality of materials. I think one is just paying for the design. I used a friends and like the way it worked but was very upset with the quality of the parts. I will not spend $100 or even $60 on the setup. Would rather design my own system.

I have the clearvue version also, hooked to a festool ct22. Havn't changed the bag in the festool in 2 years. Still almost empty. I use this setup for general shop cleanup, and use with routers, domino, biscuit joiner, sanders and tablesaw overhead guard. It gets a lot of use.

I also have the super dust deputy hooked to a delta 50-760, which also works quite well.

I have to add:
    Using very thin hand plane shavings, they DO end-up in the filter compartment. For some reason, I think their weight to size ratio is way too small and they don't fall in the bucket and will follow the air to the filter.

I bought the DIY kit. I agree that cost of materials is probably a fraction of the retail price.

Regardless, for the $50 I spent on the unit I feel it has more than paid for itself in the past seven months.

I am collecting saw dust, small wood chips, hand plane shavings and even a little sheet rock dust. Every now and then I'll pop the vac open and blow out the filter. There's usually a handful of stuff in the bottom of the vac, and that's about all.

I suspect if someone is having problems they have the hoses backwards. I did this once or twice myself so I can certainly understand how it can happen.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Hi Dan,

I have been really happy with mine. I bought it 2-3 years ago (at least) so perhaps they don't use the same quality parts in the kit that they did then. I used a design that someone else had posted here for a vertical cart.

It has a nice small footprint and with an auto-on outlet from Woodcraft the vac turns on when I turn on my hand tool (router or sander).

Not as good as a Festool system of course, but it works for me.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ever since I saw the design of the dust deputy, I thought it was always inferior to the ClearVue. Maybe thats because I own one. I too have never had a problem with my mini cyclone, although its a mini.

I have the clearvue mini cyclone. It works great. A collectors item now!
    I had to look into what that meant. Forgive me for just crawling out from underneath my rock, but MAN! Cough Prior Art Cough. Because of this, I will NEVER buy an Onieda Product.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-08-2010 at 9:53 AM. Reason: Removed implied profane statemtment

i feel the same way john

pardon the rant - i have a clearvue mini and full size DC - they have worked flawlessly since day one & the nice folks at clearvue have been great to deal with. My mini is on a festool ct22 and in 3+ years the only time I had to replace the bag was when I was doing a lot of dovetails with a router and over-filled the cyclone - DO'H!

I also will never buy an Oneida product no matter what - if they are the only vendor then I will do without - when we buy things we not only acquire material goods; we vote with our $$ for merchants we want to be around in the future.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-08-2010 at 5:21 PM. Reason: removed comments inaccurate comments about Moderating

OK, here is an update.

I did not have the hoses switched, so per other suggestions about leaks, I took everything apart and resealed with a different sealant. It is not perfect, but is much improved.

The vacuum is a Shop Vac brand, 6 peak HP, and for the bucket, I am using an old Craftsman vac container. The motor crapped out, so I made an adaptor plate to go where the old motor had been. Now I just need to figure a way to tie them together so I can move it as one unit instead of two.

Dust Deputy designed specifically for Festool vacs

I just received mine last week after waiting three weeks for back orders to catch up. It was easy to assembly and once I got the proper size hoses and adapter fittings worked out with the various power tools that I wanted to you it with, I must say it is a great addition to my shop. I have used it for general shop clean up. I've used it with my router fence and my band saw. Its a bag saver and easy to dump. I don't miss my old noisy shop vac at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Warta View Post
    I'll be watching this thread closely, I've considered a dust deputy till I can get a proper DC setup. So I'm curious to know what the issue might be. I'd hate to spend $100 plus build a rolling cart for something that isn't really helpful.

The math gets harder for me when I consider the 2HP harbor freight DC that frequently seems to have a $140 coupon...decisions decisions, but I digress.
    I have that HF DC that I bought with that same coupon and I really like it. It does a great job so far for me.

I have a Delta 50-760. Since I am a satisfied DD customer I just ordered a Super Dust Deputy to put in the front of my DC. I had put a Wynn filter on my unit and it is always packed with dust, cutting down my suction. Even with a DC you'll need something to capture the chips before it gets to the vac (at least that has been my experience).

Roger