Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NO 4 w/ Sticker care?

NO 4 w/ Sticker care?

Hello everyone,

I am new to Sawmill Creek, and I recently aquired a Stanley NO 4 Bailey plane type 13 w/ a SW iron. It is in excellent condition and includes to original sticker. I would like for this to be a user plane and not just sit on a shelf all day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to preserve the Stanley sticker?

Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries
    Ronald,

Welcome to the slippery slope.

If you do wish to preserve the sticker, in your case, the best way may be to buy a replacement handle and switch handles.

Some people go nuts with their wallets for the sticker.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the welcome. I will probably install a replacement handle as you suggested. I wrap up the handle and tuck it away should I ever need to sell it one day.

Thanks,

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Ronald,

Some people go nuts with their wallets for the sticker.

jim
    Talk about sticker shock....

Ron, you need to watch out about Jim. He's the keeper of the "slippery slope", and vile hand tool corruption runs through his Neanderthal veins. Welcome to the creek.

-Jerry

Ron,
    If you are planning on maintaining the collectability of the plane, I suggest you buy a replacement blade for it as well and tuck the original SW blade away with the stickered handle. Welcome to the creek!

Sell it!

Let someone else (collector) preserve it. Sell it for a bunch and then buy a new LV or LN instead. You will end up with a better plane this way.

Eric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    Talk about sticker shock....

Ron, you need to watch out about Jim. He's the keeper of the "slippery slope", and vile hand tool corruption runs through his Neanderthal veins. Welcome to the creek.

-Jerry
    ROTFLOL!

Well, OK, so I may be a little obsessed about old planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Let someone else (collector) preserve it. Sell it for a bunch and then buy a new LV or LN instead. You will end up with a better plane this way.

Eric
    I would look at the prices similar ones sell for before going this far.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have a #8 with a sticker on the handle and a SW blade, I didn't pay that much for it so I assumed no one cared about the sticker. Ummm. Decisions Decisions. I was trying out the #7 and #8 I have last night, trying to figure out what one too keep. The extra weight of the 8 gets old in a hurry, but it is a nicer plane. Both work great nice thin shavings and smooth sailing. Is the sticker and SW blade worth extra?

FWIW, a pristine type 13 SW #4 with all of the original parts, no rust, good patina (i.e., not cleaned), 100% japaning and pristine wood with original finish is worth about $100 - $200 on the collector market depending on who's bidding that day. With the original box in good shape, perhaps $250 - $350. Note that these are dealer/major auction prices, not e-bay prices.

Take whatever david said and cut it in half... I have never seen anyone pay that much for a 4 and I have been to a lot of collector's auctions.

I can't believe none of you guys hasn't asked the OP to post pictures!

Ronald, welcome to SMC!

Now where are the pics!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I may have committed a mortal sin. I have #7, SW blade, original sticker and have been using it as my primary jointer for a while. I put away the original laminated blade/chip breaker & use a LN replacement(because the A2 blade lasts a bit longer).

Well, the bottom line is a collector will pay more for a plane in pristine condition will all of the original stickers, finish and other markings that typically wear off. But more does not equal a small fortune. You have a collectable plane, not a rare plane--you won't be able to retire off of the proceeds.

Ronald - You might consider just keeping the nice plane out of action and getting a decent $20-$30 user #4...they're pretty common.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    You have a collectable plane, not a rare plane--you won't be able to retire off of the proceeds.
    That is unless you make fine furniture with it and sell enough to retire.

jim