Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Speaker Bowl

Segmented Speaker Bowl

A friend of mine commissioned this bowl for the 50 year anniversary of his business. The bowl comes out of the base, or the pegs come out to let it lay flat on the table. It's made of Maple and Walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extrordinary work Doug. Great combination of species and awesome joinery.

Doug, great job. Really like the stand, never seen that done before. Does the walnut square seperate from the bowl also?

Beauty

That's a beauty Doug. Really like the 'spider web' in the bottom.
    Mike

That is a really pretty piece. I like the spider web look in the bottom.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice work Doug! First time I've seen a wooden speaker!! Nice wood combination and great job on the joinery! Your friend must have been thrilled to get this!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Speaker Bowl

Very well constructed Doug. I have never seen (or heard of) a "Speaker Bowl" before and don't know its purpose. With that said, I think the stand concept is a very unique. What is a Speaker Bowl anyway?

The objective was to reproduce a model of the sub-woofer from a set of audio speakers on a stereo system. The "Speaker bowl" title just came because of that image association.

Doug

Yes, the bowl lifts out of the square piece on the bottom. The square piece is also a model of the magnet that is on the back of the speaker.

very precise joinery, especially on the center piece. it looks like all 6 pieced hit the exact center. Do you have any special technique or are you just that good.
    I have read several people description of how they glue up the segments in halves then sand the halves flat before gluing then together to eliminate any angle error so they get tight joints but it seams that would distort the crisp center you achieved.

Excellent replication of a speaker!! I agree with Bernie on the pattern in the bottom - just very nice grain arrangement.

Great bowl and superb segmenting.

Very nice design, Doug. It is easy to see the "speaker" once you know what it represents. I hope that the bottom joints do not come apart the way it is designed, but it sure looks good.

Great work. Very creative.

Robert,

I have seen a lot of comments about bowl bottoms and am working hard to make sure the fit is very precise before any gluing. I first I tried to glue the bottom piece together in halves and found that the moister from the glue seriously distorted the bottom fit, even though the dry fit was good. I started gluing the bottom pieces together all at once and hose clamping it tightly. The hope is that any stress on the seams will be compression stress to start with and then relax to the original fit. The longest I have had a bowl since doing it this way is just over a year so I am not sure about the long time effectiveness. Can you comment?

P.S. I have been looking at your posts on this and other sites very carefully so I can see the work of a true craftsman.

Doug

Nice looking piece. Love the grain effect in the bottom. I think you hit your speaker target dead center.