Thread: New workbench / TS outfeed table question

New workbench / TS outfeed table question

Hey all,

I'm in the process of finishing off my basement shop. Since space is at a premium (shop size is about 12'x20') I need to make efficient use of the space. My plan is to run 24" base cabinets alone one side of the shop, my lathe and radial arm saw along the other with a workbench/TS outfeed table in the middle.

Currently I am using a 1954 vintage Delta Homecraft table saw but plan to upgrade in the future (I would like to find a used cabinet/hybrid style TS).

I was thinking of making my workbench about 36" wide and about 8' long. I was going to use some base cabinets for the base of it and just add a nice top.

I would like it wider but there would only be about a 24" space around the workbench.

Is a 36" wide bench a good compromise?

Thanks!
    Doug

PS Are there any free programs that can help with my shop layout? I have Autocad but I wasn't sure if there were any programs that had simple 3D capabilities.

Blog Entries
    My workbench is 30" deep and it is almost oversized (it's 84" long). I make tables, chests and so forth. With your room restrictions I would reconsider the base cabinets unless you have a lot of big stuff to store (I store outside my shop to keep often used things closer). I find that shelves or cabinets deeper than 18" allow things to just get lost "back there".

It depends on what you do and how you do it but, in a shop that size I would 86 the RAS in favor of room for a jointer and planer or assembly space . . . but, that's me. You may do something completely different. ;-) BTW, did you see Eric's outfeed thread? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136990
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Go to: http://www.grizzly.com/home.aspx Look at the buttons on the left side. The one at the very bottom is for their Dream Shop planner. It will give you some good ideas. There is also the Google Sketch Up software that is free, very good, but longer learning curve. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I'd suggest taking a look at this Fine Woodworking article on a garage workshop. While the layout might not relate to your workshop space, there are some very good solutions to making tools, work stations and outfeed tables both portable and storable. It's possible to gain access the the FWW online info by signing up for a 14 day free trial that allow you to check out the offering.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=22880

HI Doug,

I have a basement shop and, it seems like I frequently have to move things around for one project or another. I try to make sure that everything is on wheels.

Charlie