Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this the chuck and jaws I need?

Sid, the one that ToolNut has the special on is the G3-D, which is the Delta version that has the setscrew for running in reverse. Both are made by Teknatool. As indicated, one of them (G3 or the G3-D) has the longer 50mm jaws and worm screw - just can't recall and not where I can look.

John, if you have a chance, it would be helpful to know which has the deeper 50mm jaws.

Does the Delta G3-D come with an insert or a standard size thread? I don't see it mentioned in the descriptions.

Art, the G3-D comes with standard 1" x 8tpi threads as it is made specifically for the Delta. That is why it has the set screw for running in reverse. The standard G3 uses an insert.

I looked at the jaws, and the difference is not in the depth of the jaws itself, but in the thickness of the base of the jaws. This makes them stand out from the body of the chuck more, necessitating a longer worm screw.

I think the G3-D was the one with the thicker jaws, but I honestly do not know as I have switched them around so much, using my cole jaws, etc., that I can't be sure. Sorry! I don't think that matters one way or the other, though, except in using the correct worm if you have two. I always just grab the longer one. The difference is minimal - perhaps 1/4" or less.

Earlier versions of the Nova 1 x 8 inserts didn't have a grub screw hole. Probably because there were few if any lathes with that headstock thread that could be run in reverse.

All the 1 1/4 X 8 inserts I have (9) have the grub screw hole and were supplied with an appropriate set screw. I put a #2 lead shot in the dimpled end of the set screw when installing the chuck on the lathe to keep from marring the headstock threads. Nova supplies a couple of fiber discs with each new chuck, but they seem to only be good for one use before they're shot.

It's interesting that when I mentioned I was considering a Nova G3 to some friends that make bagpipes, one of them insisted that although this style of chuck was great for turning bowls, it would not be the best choice for spindle turning. He recommended a 3-jaw chuck like this:
    http://littlemachineshop.com/product...gory=566826475
    I don't know what brand it is, so it might be a Chinese knock-off.

Others said that the Nova G3, especially with spigot jaws, would have a much better grip on the wood. All of which got a heated argument burning. Without much experience, it's difficult to sort through the opinions. I suppose there's not one perfect answer.

Art, I don't know anything about that chuck, but I don't know how a 3 jaw chuck could be superior to a 4 jaw chuck. The idea is to fully grasp the wood.

When I am going quick spindle turning, I grasp the square stock between the jaws in my chuck - not the dovetail part, but the inside edge of the jaws. That is what I do for finials, as well. Works fine.

I appreciate everyone's help. I've ordered one and look forward to giving it a whirl!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Wagner View Post
    Thanks, guys!

I hadn't considered the Delta G3. Is it basically the Nova G3? Any significant differences?

Tool Nut has the ad here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ybsrk3d
    Art, it's the same, it's made by Nova. Says it right on the box.
    The Tool Nut
    Systainerworld

Quote Originally Posted by Art Wagner View Post
    It's interesting that when I mentioned I was considering a Nova G3 to some friends that make bagpipes, one of them insisted that although this style of chuck was great for turning bowls, it would not be the best choice for spindle turning. He recommended a 3-jaw chuck like this:
    http://littlemachineshop.com/product...gory=566826475
    I don't know what brand it is, so it might be a Chinese knock-off.

Others said that the Nova G3, especially with spigot jaws, would have a much better grip on the wood. All of which got a heated argument burning. Without much experience, it's difficult to sort through the opinions. I suppose there's not one perfect answer.
    Three-jaw vs four jaw itself is not what matters. The important thing is the jaw design and how the jaws grip the material. Those three jaw chucks are designed for holding metal in metal lathes. They won't hold wood anywhere near as well. Sounds like somebody has too much hot air in his bagpipes.

Thanks, everyone!

It sounds like the only significant difference is the insert with the G3 and a fixed 1" 8 TPI on the G3-D.

I decided to order a G3 because of the extra jaws, but if I need another plain chuck, this G3-D will be the ticket.