Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to start power sanding.

best way to start power sanding.

i want to be able to start power sanding. i started using my orbital sander on the outside of bowls and it makes life so much easier. where is the best place to get what i need to be able to sand inside and outside of bowls? i see alot of people have sander discs they put on drills is this the best route?

Cody,

I am new at turning as well. A lot of the people here buy sanding products from http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/

You can use the pads with a drill.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I use a drill with a three inch disc. I'll probably get a smaller disc as well.

I got mine at WC because it was convenient, but as usual with WC, there are cheaper places to get the stuff.

would one of these be a good place to start? i do mainly 7-10inch bowls what size should i start with?

there are 30$ ceramic kit or a 21$ kit that is different style are the ceramic ones worth extra price?

http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/Sa...arter_Kits.htm

i am planning on get a right angle drill from harbor freight. is that the best cheap way to go for the drill part? any model that works best?

Do check out Vince's site. He does tell a lot about sanding as well as sell his products. I have been using his stuff for several years, and prefer them over anything else I have used.

You will need a drill, which can run from $30 to $170 or so. I prefer the slow speed ones, but have been using the high speed one for a bit, which I will get around to talking about in another thread soon. The rechargeable drills don't work well.

I will use the 3 inch discs on any bowl I can get them into because they have twice the sanding area of a 2 inch disc. I do keep some 2 inch discs on hand.

You will need a mandrill to put into the drill to put the discs on, and some interface pads: an extra pad that goes onto the mandrill, so when it wears out all you have to replace is the pad, not the mandrill which is a lot more expensive. I like the firm ones with the quarter round profile on the edge which gets into the insides of bowls better than the ones with a square profile. I use them for all grits, but some times switch to a soft one for the finer grits.

You will probably need 80, 120, 180, 220, 320, and 400 grit discs. You can get the higher grits, but I only use them on very dense woods which polish up nicely. You will need one of the eraser sticks as I call them, which are rubber and will clean off your discs some what.

You will want a dust collector, and a hood to go over the bowls when you sand as the power sanders throw dust out more than hand sanding. You will probably need a dust mask of some sort if you don't already have one.

robo hippy

is the starter kit that is on vinces site a good place to start? he offers 2 and 3/8 or 3 and 3/8 for medium sized bowls would the 3 and 3/8 work?

I agree with everything Reed just stated. Only difference is that I use the 2 3/8" disks and the cheapest variable speed electric drill that I could find. Bought one 3 years ago and figured I would just throw it away and get another one when it died.... it's still going strong!

Vince's starter kits would work just fine to get you going. The only big decision is what size disk you want to use.

Also - Reed wasn't kidding about the dust these things can throw out. At the very least - make sure you have something to protect your eyes and lungs!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Cody, Pretty much ditto what Reed and Steve said. For the size bowls you mentioned the 3" discs would usually be a bit too big. Although I have a couple right angle drills, I use a straight, corded drill 98% of the time.
    Richard in Wimberley

Ditto again what Reed and Steve said. I use a Harbour Freight angle drill. Bought it on sale for $23 and figured like Steve when it was shot throw it away and get another one. Well it is hanging on now for 3 yrs.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Another thumps-up for Vince. I picked up a starter kit of 2" and 3" blue and just recently placed a restock order. I cannot imagine what would make me switch to another kind of disc.

ok should i go with the more expensive ceramic or cheaper blue ones?

which drill?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92956

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3670

the right angle one is on sale for like 23$ the normal one is cheap at like 14$
    Last edited by cody michael; 04-04-2010 at 9:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    ok should i go with the more expensive ceramic or cheaper blue ones?

which drill?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92956

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3670

the right angle one is on sale for like 23$ the normal one is cheap at like 14$
    This is the one I have I like not having to keep a key for the chuck
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95877
    Brad

The most difficult part of a bowl to sand out is the transition area from the sides going to the bottom of the bowl. If the bowl is gently rounded, then it is easy. If the sides are more square/straight, and turn sharply to go across the bottom, it is more difficult to sand, as well as turn. Getting the disc into that curve is hard, and smaller discs do fit in a little better than the bigger ones. I still prefer the larger discs. I turn the lathe speed down, and the drill speed down. The larger disc gets the job done a LOT faster than the smaller discs. The outsides are easy.

As to the ceramic or blue discs, Vince just sent me some ceramic ones to try out. I did have one once from him, and didn't notice any real difference in performance. I did get some of the Norton Dry Ice discs from the Sanding Glove, and they lasted just the same amount of time as the blue discs, and were more than twice as expensive.

I prefer the close quarter drills, and some come off at an angle, like 30 degrees or so, and I prefer them to the right angle drills.

robo hippy

I had a extra 1/4in. 90 deg. collet type air die grinder. Have to put up with the air compressor noise. Use 2in & switching over to wave pads.

should i go with the more expensive ceramic or cheaper blue ones?