Thread: Wood storage - to seal or not to seal?

Wood storage - to seal or not to seal?

My family and I are moving out of state and I have a fair amount of hardwood lumber that will end up in storage for a while. The storage unit is not climate controlled and is in Connecticut - a warmer, much more humid climate than my current Vermont location. In addition, the wood is currently in a well-insulated shop that I dehumidify when things get damp. All of the wood was kiln-dried when I bought it and all of it has been in my shop for at least a year.

My question is this: should I get some anchorseal and paint the ends of the boards before moving the wood?

I think that if it is kiln dries then you should have anything to worry about. It is already dried than it would get if it were air dried. If it hasn't checked, it isn't going to.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I think that if it is kiln dries then you should have anything to worry about. It is already dried than it would get if it were air dried. If it hasn't checked, it isn't going to.

+1. Sealing the ends is critical when the boards transition from green down to 25% MC, as this is the phase of drying when checks develop. Below 25% MC, sealing does not offer any benefits.

No need to seal kiln dried wood. It will absorb and lose moisture during the seasons, but can also be acclimated again before you use it. No need to even sticker the layers, but do keep it off concrete with stickers. No stickers reduces space and makes fire-safe piles.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice. It's always nice when people advise you to do less work!