Thread: Norm's Router Table - 2" or 4"?

Norm's Router Table - 2" or 4"?

I'm making the infamous router table cabinet, but have a question. Would you install the 2" PVC ductwork (per plan) to the router compartment, or would you run 4"?? I have a 4" flange on hand, and I have a fixed cyclone in my shop w/ fixed ductwork. I just want to be sure there are no inherent disadvantages of doing this.

Unless you overload your cyclone (unlikely) then larger diameter piping is always better. Dust collectors work different than vacuums and need more airflow (high CFM) to operate effectively.

I can see no reason to not go bigger, in fact I would use a 5 or 6" hose and neck it down as close to the port as possible.

FWIW I have a short 4" flex hose servicing my shaper and every chip that gets on the back side of the fence gets sucked up. Only those that are thrown below the table or otherwise in front of the fence ( a real issue with zero clearance fences) don't get taken.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    I run 4" below and 2-1/2" at the fence. I have a 2HP cyclone. Works great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

What he said....
    Chuck

Definitely 4" into the cabinet. Norm blew it on this one.

I'm going to offer one caveat to the 4" suggestion and that has to do with how your shop is laid out. (and full disclosure, mine is now 4" as well)

If you are counting on being able to back the router table close to a wall or other equipment, a 4" PVC pipe and 4" ell is going to consume a bit more space and will force the table away from an obstacle behind it.

When I had the 2.5" on mine, though there were chips in the space behind the door, it was never a lot of chips and no dust ever escaped from the holes I drilled in the door plexiglas, so from the standpoint of adequate versus complete chip removal - it was certainly adequate.

Just FYI.

-Chris

I agree with Chris, I too have the 2.5" and my dust collection mirrors what he said, however I will likely increase to 4" eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    What he said....
    What they said!