Thread: Recommendations for plywood/lumber supplier in Portland Oregon

Recommendations for plywood/lumber supplier in Portland Oregon

At the end of May, I'm going to Portland Oregon to help my dad build out his kitchen cabinets. He has a distribution business up there so I suggested maybe we could try to buy wholesale, but it would be less than truckload of course.

Looking for standard stuff, pre-finished maple or birch, MDO. I don't know if there are plywood only places (a lot of them here in So Cal) or just general lumber. Anyway, just looking for good people to work with, decent prices, and less than truckload. Thanks.

Woodcrafters on the east side ( NE 7th and Davis) or Emerson Hardwood (NW Front Ave.)on the west side of the river. Emerson probably has a better selection of plywood.

Terry

Plywood in Portland

Crosscut Hardwoods at 3065 NW Front St, in Portland phone 503-224-9663 is a division of Emerson Hardwood, good people to buy from. Shurway Building Centers 7124 St.Johns Rd. Vancouver, WA. phone 360-693-4737. They still may have and outlet in Portland off Marin Drive. Specializing in shop grade and mill seconds. If you buy in Washington have your father along with his Oregon ID for no sale tax. Columbia Hardwood in Portland they have a $300.00 min. Tom.

For plywood, I find Mr. Plywood on 7609 SE Stark St. has what I need.
    http://mrplywoodinc.com/

Crosscut has a good selection of solid planks and S2S lumber in many varieties, and standard 4x8 sheets of common plywood varieties, but if you need special plywood or good prices on prefinished they don't have it.

"Wholesale" doesn't mean very much in Oregon because of the lack of sales tax. Most wholesalers will deal directly with the public here as long as you ask nicely, buy enough stuff, and aren't a pain in the neck.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 04-05-2010 at 4:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    For plywood, I find Mr. Plywood on 7609 SE Stark St. has what I need.
    http://mrplywoodinc.com/

Crosscut has a good selection of solid planks and S2S lumber in many varieties, and standard 4x8 sheets of common plywood varieties, but if you need special plywood or good prices on prefinished they don't have it.

"Wholesale" doesn't mean very much in Oregon because of the lack of sales tax. Most wholesalers will deal directly with the public here as long as you ask nicely, buy enough stuff, and aren't a pain in the neck.
    crosscut as a very large selection of plywoods. far more then mr plywood does and in more grades. from solid core to 200.00 sheet teak plywood and bamboo plywood. they have finished birch plywood for around 35.00 a sheet it is a killer deal.
    Last edited by Steve knight; 04-05-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Give Hardwood Industries a try too. I don't know what their selection of plywood is like.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks everyone for the replies. That gives me a great start.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    crosscut as a very large selection of plywoods. far more then mr plywood does and in more grades. from solid core to 200.00 sheet teak plywood and bamboo plywood. they have finished birch plywood for around 35.00 a sheet it is a killer deal.
    I haven't been to the plywood section of Crosscut in a year and a half- at that time their selection was limited. They must have improved it.

One of my main suppliers is Continental Hardwoods. I think that they have a Portland branch. Good people, fair prices. I have to buy without seeing the lumber, and they generally do a good job at getting me what I need, be it width, color, etc.

Continental Hardwood - Portland, Oregon
    5737 NE Portland Highway
    Portland, OR 97218
    T (503) 281-1212
    T (800) 452-1692
    F (503) 281-2791
    JR

the rep for Continental Hardwood dropped by my shop today. they have some good prices for sure.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing