Thread: stands, carts and workbenches with double locking casters

stands, carts and workbenches with double locking casters

Hey all - I've got sort of a silly question about using double locking casters on various stands, carts and other mobile items. How do you lock/unlock the casters if they are swiveled underneath the item? Do you need to leave a certain amount of clearance or possibly extend the mounting point for the casters outside of the footprint of the mobile item in order to get a foot in there to depress the lever?

I'm thinking about building a mobile base with these, but can't figure out a design that will keep it low enough to the floor and provide a way to engage the locking mechanism. What am I missing?

Outriggers

I've never done it but if you want it low with accessible casters you can mount the casters on outriggers similar to commercial bases.

HTC Base

MK

You just reach under there with your hand and lock it. I suppose that would get on my nerves if I had to move the item every 5 minutes, but usually I don't move my mobile table more than once a day so it's fine with me.

The other option is you can use something like a pry bar to just get the weight off the caster and spin it so you can lock it with your foot. But I find it easier to just do it with my hand.

Even yet another option which I do with my router table is to custom make some shims and just shim the table up until it's off the casters. Then you don't have to lock them. My router table isn't too big, so this is ok for me.

I pivot them outward and then lock them, often only locking the most convenient two. It makes them more stable by increasing the size of the footprint. I have them on my workbench, EZ saw table ("Power Bench"), drill press, planer, router table, and Ryobi BT3000 table saw!
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

How about putting only two on one side of the cart you speak of and leveling blocks on the other side. In this case you would probably not need the swivel casters. I am in the same situation as you and am trying to figure a lunchbox planer cart design that can double as a clamp cart. Tight space I have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Tight space I have to deal with.
    For tight spaces I have used 4 swivel double locking wheels.

The 4 swivels gives you maximum freedom of movement, and the double locking on all 4 wheels allows you to only lock the wheels that are easily reached, and conveniently exposed.
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.

Blog Entries
    I do as Doug does. My casters lock/unlock by toe-action so I just swivel the mechanism into view to lock.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I also just wiggle the cart until the caster locks are available. I do that before I lock them.

I do them with my hands..
    Chuck

Great! It seems like it's not an issue to either lock 2 or reach down and pull them out and then lock them (or just lock them). That makes things a lot simpler to plan for. I had drawn up all sorts of mobile lift ideas to make this thing easy to move, and in this case, simpler wins. Double locking casters it is!

I'm curious as to how you locked them in the first place if the tabs were under the cabinet. When you lock them, they should no longer swivel or roll. I rarely try to lock all four. Two always stop where I can lock and unlock with my foot and two seem to hold the cabinet still.
    fmr

I originally built my table saw base cabinet with 2 double locks on the front and 2 non-swivel non-locking casters on the back.

If I locked the front and pushed lightly on the saw the 2 front wheels would slide. I bought 2 more double locks and welded them (ok - had them welded) so they wouldn't swivel.

It's not quite as good as 4 double locks but I like the fixed wheels for directional stability. I used the 4" red ones sold at woodcraft. Now I need to find something to do with the orphaned pair of fixed casters. Oh well . . .

Cheers

Jim

I push the cabinet away from me & the two casters at my feet will pivot out towards me. Then I just lock them with my foot.

I use 4 double-locking swivels for my smaller carts/machines. Makes them easier to "spin" around in my small shop.

Locking all four casters is a pain, though! I usually crawl underneath and lock with my hands. Once in awhile I'll lock the front two with my foot, then tip the cart back and pull it toward me. This exposes the locks on the two rear casters and I can lock them with my foot. I do this a lot with my portable planer, which is bolted to the top of a plywood cart with casters.

For my bigger carts/machines I have two "fixed" and two double-locking swivels. You have to steer it like a car, but much easier to lock & unlock the casters.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Callender View Post
    Hey all - I've got sort of a silly question about using double locking casters on various stands, carts and other mobile items. How do you lock/unlock the casters if they are swiveled underneath the item? Do you need to leave a certain amount of clearance or possibly extend the mounting point for the casters outside of the footprint of the mobile item in order to get a foot in there to depress the lever?

I'm thinking about building a mobile base with these, but can't figure out a design that will keep it low enough to the floor and provide a way to engage the locking mechanism. What am I missing?