Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

5 Apr 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope each of you had a good weekend as well as a good Easter weekend for those of you who celebrate Easter.

The chair repair project is nearing an end for my 1st chair as I should have it all back together today. I'm thinking about doing a picture tutorial on taking a chair apart, inspection, and reassembly on the next chair I do, but I guess we'll see how this goes and how much time I'll have to do the tutorial.

Lawn and garden season is here as well and that means that there's just that much less time to do what I want to do...work in wood. The good thing is? I don't have any pressing projects and am going to be working towards my daughter's graduation next month.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I had a group of 4 fine folks, at least one is a Creeker, spend Saturday night with me. All four folks are active members of Family Woodworking Forums.

Friday night I prepped as much of Saturday evenings dinner as I could. Saturday I cleaned house at the level my missing LOML would appreciate and I started dinner early.

My friends arrived and dinner required a few more minutes so we swapped stories over some good microbrew I had purchased. We enjoyed stories and renewed friendships we had started here at the Creek 5 years or more ago. They spent the night with me.

After I fixed breakfast, they were on their way to Nampa, SLC, Moab, Grand Canyon, Phoenix, LA, entually arriving back to Portland and Seattle where they fly back to their homes. They were a riot! They were just century or so too late to put that show on vaudeville!

Yesterday.....cleaned house....did a little laundry and napped.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What an awesome weekend (weather wise) in the South. I finally got around to some much need yard work on Saturday and also got the Christmas lights out of the shrubs We had a great Easter service yesterday and then took the family out for a bike ride in a local park.

I was also able to get two coats of Waterlox Satin on a computer desk I have been working on for 6 months now. With this crazy weather we have been having, it has made it nearly impossible to get any finish on this desk. My wife is glad to see this project finally coming to a close. She is mostly frustrated in that I have spent close to a 100 hours on a project that is not even for us. The desk will be headed to a client in WV. Hopefully, I will be able to have the desk put back together and some pics up in the projects section later this week.

Saturday we drove about 1-1/2 hours away to pick up a 1/2 side of beef we bought from my wife's boss and her husband. In the afternoon I cleaned the grill and discovered we need a new part for the burners so we ran to the store where I learned that Weber has a 10 year warranty on the burners. We bought a new set anyway, but when I got home I called Weber and have a free set on the way so we should be good on burners for 10 years. I figure we've now got $342 into the grill over 5 years and shouldn't need to spend anything for at least another 5 when I figure we'll have to replace the grates again. It helps that a Creeker gave me a set of brand new flavorizer bars and cooking grates last year since he'd ordered the wrong ones. We got a heck of a deal on the grill when we bought it since it was the previous years model. Still, it makes it hard to argue that Weber is expensive considering our first 2 grills only lasted 2 years each and cost in the $150 range. And this one works every time I use it unlike those.

Sunday LOML and my mom went to see Wicked so LOMLjr played in the yard while I played in the shop. I finished up the details on a new cart for my welder and plasma cutter instead of having separate carts. Then I tuned up the cheap table saw I bought for "site" work. Its cheap, but it will do what I need and despite feeling really junky I learned that the fence is pretty darn accurate as far as squaring itself up.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 04-05-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Blog Entries

weekend accomplishments

Took a box making class on Saturday. Sunday, made Salmon Benedict for the family with homemade Hollandaise sauce, then cleaned garage / shop so car could go back inside before the rain. Oh, and enjoyed the earthquake...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Got shop ready to start the 10....gasp....dining chairs as the new dining room table/china cabinet/chairs project is at hand. Sorted thru the massive amount of massive 8/4 white oak boards that I have. Got the 4 boards that will make up the top of the table picked out and marked so they don't accidentally become chairs.

Worked in the yard and garden as well as having a glorious Easter at church and a wondergul afternoon at home with my wife and daughter!

Hope everyone has a blessed week!!!

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Got the revamped overhead pick up hood for the new saw finalized Sat afternoon, pulled it apart Sunday, and back together with silicone to seal up any openings. Got pictures of the old lawn tractor and got it sold on CL by Sat afternoon. Went out for some supplies and a new battery so I can run the newer lawn mower. Did some maintenance on said mower, and looks like it needs a new drive belt. Prepped the sprinkler system for the new season. Had to fix 2 holes in the hose that primes the pump, turned it on to check and the filter bowl had split during one of the freezes...sure thought I had drained it when I drained the lines for the winter. Need to order a new one of them. Watched some basketball and hockey at different times, the for some reason, it was time to get some sleep to start the new work week. Where'd the weekend go???? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Spent the weekend rototilling the garden. Last week I spread 8 yards of compost, 6 yards of bark fines and 4 yards of sand, so this weekend it got tilled in. I've been working this clay patch for 5 years now, adding compost and mulch fines each year, and finally think this latest offering might let something grow like it should. Each year that dang tiller beats me up a little bit more than the last.....I still won though

I'm stuck in Roma Italy for work and missing the sawdust and tools. But on the other hand I have seen some beautiful wood work and it is just hard to imagine how they created these beautiful buldings of marble and stone 2000 years ago. Makes me realize how little talent and skill I have. I can't even figure out how they did it, you could give me every tool known to mankind and I could not begin to recreate it.

Dug about forty feet of trench for the new subpanel in the shop by hand. Then got the wire in place and covered. Did it all by hand. Seemed a lot easier when I was in my twenties. Gonna be sixty this year. Started the smoker and then fussed over it till 3 AM cooking the pork for Sunday. Spent Sunday with most of our family eating and enjoying all five Grandkids that were here. One son and daughter in law out in Seattle missed the festivities also three more grandkids but a very nice weekend. Sore as a boiled owl today from the trench but it's good to have it done.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Finally started staining the old dresser restoration I started about 8 months ago. My mom loves antiques but can't afford the nice ones so she bought this dresser and I told her I would restore it. Well, that was a little more than I could chew. Wasn't worth saving the integrity of it so I put about 40 screws in the top because it was so warped. Had to put new sides on it and all new drawer slides and glides. Had to reglue everything including the dovetails on the drawers. Will post some pics of the whole thing when I am done, but just glad to finally have color to it!

Also put up a lumber rack in the garage. Just good ole shelf bracket system from BORG. Oh yeah, and picked up my new(used) Makita 10" Dual Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Ryobi miter stand for pretty much free!

It was a pretty good weekend all in all.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Well...I had two intense riding lessons (Dressage), raked some driveway stone back onto the driveway from the lawns, cooked our Eastover...err....Paster...err, whatever the meal would be called with kosher chickens (roasted on the grill with beer steaming up their butts ) and matzo with Jewish guests on Easter...and nearly finished up (quite literally) my current tack trunk commission. One final coat of EM6000 to go and it's ready to deliver this coming weekend. There will soon be a thread in Woodworking Projects on that one!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    raked some driveway stone back onto the driveway from the lawns
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't remember where the driveway ends when its covered in snow.

Purchased some 2 x 8's for building 3 4' x 4' square foot gardening boxes. Got a small box of Kreg blue 2.5' screws for assembly of the same.

It was a busy and productive weekend here. It was the last Friday I was off work so I decided to capitalize on it and wrap up a few projects.

My main goals were:
    1. Finish my dehumidifier kiln
    2. Install new subwoofers in the ceiling
    3. Build a small 2x2 stand for my miter/saw planer
    4. Put a new top on my router table to go with my new fence/lift
    5. Clean/organize the shop

Thankfully everything worked out and I was able to accomplish it all. None of the construction is pretty but it all does its job.

The kiln I had wanted to build turned out be larger than I wanted to give up once I mocked the space up with 2x4s. So I moved to building a wider/shorter kiln that would serve triple duty as kiln, outfeed table and assembly table. It turned out to be about 6.2 ft long and 4 ft wide. The top is osb and about 1/2" below the table saw for now. I may find some cheap formica or other material to top it off with and bring it closer to the height of my ts. For now though it has worked great for breaking done sheet goods needed for other projects.

Subwoofers are a go! 2 18" infinite baffle subs from FI powered by an ep1500. Very nice indeed. And my wife is much happier not having to see large subs sitting in the living room. Once we pick out a grill to go over the opening it should blend in well. One mishap where my ankle rolled over a bit and I put my leg through the ceiling... It is an easy enough fix and makes for a funny story

The router top is done 2 layers of mdf with one layer of osb. Free Formica from the neighbor on top to make it nice and smooth. I'm loving it and the new unilift that is in it. Very nice indeed.

2x2 table, done lots of 51 cent 2x4x48 at HD in the cull lumber pile so the kiln and work table are made of them.

Finally the cleaning, it isn't sparkling clean. But everything is put away and organized. Now to start on more projects to force it into being messy again!

On a side note, I went to Lowe's to pick up a small piece of drywall to repair the foot hole in my ceiling. While there I managed to pick up a delta drill press for $150!

First two are the manifold for the subs
    IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg
    And some general views
    IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg
    This arrangement definitely isn't final. I simply but stuff somewhere to get it cleaned up before family cam in for Easter.
    IMG_1399.jpg

Wood waiting for some concrete blocks to weigh it down and begin drying.
    IMG_1400.jpg
    Last edited by Derek Gilmer; 04-06-2010 at 1:42 PM.