Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help: Basement woodshop noise levels

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    You're kidding, right? A FURNACE set this guy off? Jeeesssss, some people......
    My Lennox furnace had a very loud turbine type whine until the engineer for the mechanical company diagnosed it as an exhaust resonance and had the mechanic replace and modify the exhaust piping.

After that it was fine, but it sure was amazing when new........Rod.

For the most part neighbors are reasonable people. Of course you can get somebody that just can't be pleased which is where the problems start.

The good type of neighbor will be good for life as long as you are kind in return.

The bad kind of neighbor usually has a long, hard life ahead of them anyway so I try not to get too involved. I just smile and wave and let the inevitable take place. In my town, we have ordinances concerning noise. I doubt any power tool would violate the noise ordinance, so any PITA neighbor would have little ground to stand on. So go make some sawdust!

However, Ken has it right, just make something for them and be a nice guy. If they need a piece of wood for some project, offer to rip a little bit up for them. etc (I'm not recommending you make them a chippendale secretary). I also occasionally have the neighbors over to sit on the back deck and have some cocktails and hot dogs. All that helps a lot.

I actually find that most people want to know what I'm making, rather than being annoyed by the noise.

Thank you for sharing.

I will start my happy drilling as soon as possible. If I make it to local news I hope it's because of my fine pieces of wood art and not because of neighbors picketing my house

Regards,
    ICov.