Thread: Hello all of you Jet 1642 owners.

Hello all of you Jet 1642 owners.

Last summer I purchased a Jet 1642 EVS 2HP lathe, which I have not had a lot of time to turn on. However, there seems to be a problem developing with the lathe. Some weeks back, I noticed an intermittent clacking noise coming from the motor at speeds below about 800 rpm. This problem has gradually worsened until the clatter is now present up to about 1900 rpm or so. Beyond that speed, it is quite and runs very smooth; below that speed, it becomes noisy and has vibration.

Adjusting the belt from tight to loose to no belt, makes no difference. The motor shaft appears to run eccentric, although I have not put a gauge on it. Does this sound like a bad bearing or some other problem? Have any of you experienced a similar problem with your 1642?

Thanks for your comments.

Ted

Should still be under warranty. Contact your dealer immediately. Meanwhile you could take the belt completely loose to confirm that the problem is indeed the motor. There has been a history (which Jet knows about) of batches of defective motors on the 1642. To the best of my knowledge they have all been replaced under warranty.
    Richard in Wimberley

I've not had this problem with my 1642, but I certainly had it with my 1014 (not variable speed).
    Spindle shaft had a lot of end play, and even though the handwheel was then adjusted correctly it still made noise when spooling down.

One thing was that although the motor shaft was true, the motor pulley was NOT concentric. Woodcraft replaced the lathe free of charge- after several attempts to get Jet to have someone service it- which was more than the lathe is worth apparently.

Yeah, there was a batch of bad motors in these lathes. Jet will replace it for you pretty much no questions asked if you let them know.

Just got my 3rd motor put on 2-23-10, it sound like it was comming form the middle of the motor case , I bought it on 4/28/09 and the 1st noise starter the next month at low RPMs .So I called WMH tool group and they said they had a bad batch of motors so they sent me one out .This last time I took the head & motor to the area service rep. for Jet and they looked at it and said it was bad and got me a new motor.

So far it works just right, knock on wood. Dont get me wrong, I think the lathe is great and Im very happy with it . They have taken care of every problem with out a hassle.

Should be a warranty item. Have heard of a few folks experiencing that same problem and, to the best of my knowledge, all of them were taken care of by Jet.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hello all and thanks for your comments/suggestions. It ended up being a bad motor. Gary at Jet customer service listened to the noise and said that he had heard that noise before....from his personal machine. He will send out a new motor.

Ted

I just got the same lathe a week ago and I have a noise which sounds like a slight grinding as the motor slows down below 100 rpm. I also noticed it was getting warm after a short turning session. With all of the talk about these bad motors I am getting gun shy. I think this lathe should be smooth at any speed but below 100 rpm it is not quiet and it feels like it is coming from the middle of the motor. I also run my dust collector through an X10 adapter to control the off and on. When I turn on the lathe if the DC is running it will shut off plus if listening to an AM station on the radio the lathe will cause so much interference you can not hear the broadcast. Makes me thing the controller is emitting alot of electronic noise.

Hey George, that is exactly how mine started out and progressively got worse. You may wish to call Gary at Jet customer service, he can listen to it and tell you if it is a bad motor.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by George Singer View Post
    ... if listening to an AM station on the radio the lathe will cause so much interference you can not hear the broadcast. Makes me thing the controller is emitting alot of electronic noise.
    That is very common.

Switch to Satellite radio, try plugging in the radio from different electrical outlet or install something similar to this.
    http://oneway.ca/lathes/2436_access.htm
    RFI Filter An RFI Filter installed in the lathe will help minimize the AM (and some television antennae reception) interference. It can be factory installed or customer installed as an after-market item.
    Download the Installation Instructions for the RFI Filter from our Instructions Page or click here.
    Part No. 2748
    $58.95 USD
    Gordon

Ted glad you got a resolution. My 1642 started out making a slight knock but has gotten progressively worse and now makes so much noise it is slightly nerve wracking. I need to contact Jet tech support and get it taken care of. Hopefully I can get some time next week to give them a call.

Hope the new motor gets you turning quickly.

John