Thread: Dado idea

Dado idea

I have built a micro adjustable box joint jig. The problem is I don't have a true flat bottom dado cutter...and I cant afford one right now. I had the idea of using two 10" flat top rip blades and shimming them out to 1/4". I was wondering if anyone has done this or is it feasible. I could use my router but I'm not sure if it is powerful enough (1 3/4 hp)...and also worry about the tear out. I could use some advise if any of you are willing to share. Thanks. Lynn

I have heard of stacking several circular saw blades together to make a low budget dado.
    http://www.woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/dado.html
    Last edited by Dan Keeling; 04-06-2010 at 9:28 PM. Reason: posted wrong link

Blog Entries
    Without a chipper, you would probably leave some waste behind between the blades.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

1/4" box joints should be no problem for your router.
    Back up your cut and you won't have a problem with tear out. I use a 1/2" spiraled plunge cutter but, don't know if one is available in 1/4".
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

It's not all that economical to gang two 24T FTG blades together to get 1/4" kerf. It'll take at least two full kerf blades, and they must be identical. The cheaper versions I've seen start in the $25 range each, with most between $40 and $50 each. It's not that hard to find a decent dado set in the $60-$70 range.

FWIW, your router should handle this cut with ease.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I'd try router. If not enough umph, either a rough cut with a cheaper dado blade on TS and then cleanup with your router OR multiple passes on router.

A straight bit will work. You don't need a dado bit.
    Just be sure to back the wood up with scrap to prevent tearout.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Your router will easily handle up to 3/4" dado with out hesitating. But I have and still use 2 thin kerf blades stacked together to make dados and rabbits when using 1/4 plywood. Since 1/4 plywood is actually smaller and I am too cheap to by the router bit, and besides a table saw is a heck of a lot easier to use to cut those anyhow. I bought a 2 pack of dewalt 60 tooth blades from the BORG years ago and they sat around collecting dust until I tried putting them together. Works like a charm. Even works on a sawstop. The blade brake doesn't realize there are 2 blades in there.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    It's not that hard to find a decent dado set in the $60-$70 range.
    Agreed, I got a freud 6" set off ebay for 12$ + shipping, Flat bottoms no issues, I think it was used once or brand new!