Thread: Anyone know how to re-install blade guard on Makita SCMS?

Anyone know how to re-install blade guard on Makita SCMS?

I "accidentally" removed the blue blade guard on my Makita SCMS (model LS1013) and now I can't get it back on.

I was attempting to tune it up, and I figured I'd take off the blade guard because it was getting in the way of using my try square. It was late at night and I wasn't thinking! The spring popped off and now I can't get it back in (it's like trying to hold 5 things at once).

Anyone know how to the guard back on?

Thanks,
    Greg

Whada'ya know? Me too!

I had exactly the same issue on exactly the same saw... but for a different reason. I stumbled across one of my "impulse" purchases from year's past, one of those new-fangled laser guide washers. I took the guard apart to dropped the laser washer on and reassembled it some difficulty, turned the saw back on and couldn't figure out was was making all the racket.

Figured I must have done something wrong so I took it all apart again... and again, and again - finally deciding that the laser guide was too thick to clear the inside of the guard. Off comes everything again including the laser guide.

Putting it all back together was a pain, because you have to manage to get all the parts in position and aligned at the same time as winding the saw guard return spring and there is practically NO room to get your fingers in there to get the blade bolt started.

I know this probably isn't much help to you, but after about 20 minutes of frustration I was able to get it all reassembled and working. You might try accessing the Makita web site and see if maybe they have a schematic for that model.

Scratch that... I just tried and couldn't find anything. Anybody else out there keep their original manual?

Agreed. It takes 20 minutes of frustration to get it back on . Unfortunately I cannot tell you how to do it off the top of my head. I do however remember that the alignment pins on the plastic piece are different sizes. Make sure you have the right ones lined up with the right sized holes.

Got it! Salem, thanks for the tip... that was the trick. I couldn't get it all the way on because the pins weren't aligned correctly. Once the pins were aligned, it went together.

And yes, it's took roughly 20 minutes and a good deal of cursing!

Thanks for the tips
    -Greg

But are your fences square . If they are please tell me how you did it! I have never managed to get mine square enough for my liking.