Thread: Redwood Slab (how long to dry?)

Redwood Slab (how long to dry?)

I was just up in San Anselmo visiting my sis over spring break.

She and her husband just purchased a house and there was a slab of redwood with live edges 2" x 26" x 84" leaning against the fence. They dont know how long it was there before they moved in. It looks like a couple of years to me and in that time it has just been soaking up the rain and then drying and checking a bit in the sun. The checks and cracks are pretty deep and will need to be butterflyed and epoxy filled. There is some nice curl and figure in the slab. Should look quite beautiful when cleaned up.

Anyway. We moved it on to stickers and covered it protecting from further rain and sun damage. How long should we wait before having it shipped to me in San Diego?
    Fullerbuilt

You could really have it shipped any time. To see how long it need to dry, you are probably going to need to get a moisture meter. It may be dry right now if you dont know how long it has been sitting. Sound like a nice slab though. Get some pics!
    Chuck

I dont know why I didnt think to take any pics of it while I was there. The slab had been moved and was lying flat and soaking up the rain. Seemed pretty heavy when we moved it.

I'll have it shipped at the end of summer. hehe San Francisco summer is Oct.
    Fullerbuilt

Eiji

I have a redwood crotch cut table that I made about 25 years ago. Its a freeform live edge sort of affair with natural legs made from redwood limbs. I made it, finished it and then put it in the house and let it do its thing for a couple of years, then resurfaced the top after it had stabilized in that two year period. Mine is 4" thick so there was no support needed but with a 2" slab you may want to build in some suppport if there is some short grain. Fastened solid in the center with sliding dovetails would be my choice to support and still let it move.

I have my table in front of the couch and it is as entertaining as it is beautiful. There is a Hot Wheels car stuck in one of the crevases, lodged there by one of my kids 20 years ago. I leave it there just for memories. The grain patterns are something we never get tired of and counting growth rings can keep a kid, or now grandkids busy for hours. They have never counted them all but have gone just over 200 years before giving up to boredom. I have seen some of your work, and I am sure it will be a beautiful tribute to a majastic tree when completed.

Have fun with it....