Thread: How to adjust vertical left/right tilt on Makita SCMS?

How to adjust vertical left/right tilt on Makita SCMS?

I’m tuning up my 3-year old Makita SCMS (LS1013) and I’m having a hard time understanding how to adjust the right/left vertical tilt. I’ve read the owners’ manual and the procedure for adjusting the bevel stops for the left/right vertical tilt is really confusing. It’s something along the lines of “Turn left rear screw 3 times CCW, then adjust right screw 3 times CCW. Then adjust right screw to tilt the saw to the left…”

It sort of works, but once I go too far with the tilt (say to the left) I can’t adjust it back to the right. I want to zero in on it with a few back-and-forth trial and error cuts. A few times last night I tried to start over, but I know the screws are not back to their original stops.

Is there an easier way to do this? How to the bevel stops work, maybe that would help to me understand the tune-up procedure?

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg,

I have the 1013. I'm not sure if I have your issue right in my mind. Are you trying to set the bevel, say for a left side 23 degree cut? If I have that right, you don't need to move bevel stops to do that. To set left/right bevel, loosen the handle at the very back of the saw a turn or 2, tilt the saw as desired, then tighten the handle. I've attached a picture with the handle circled. If you are trying to do something other than that, please respond back. I'll try again.

Brian

Disregard. I missed the point of your original post. I'll take a look at my saw when I get home tonight. I've never adjusted the stops.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 04-07-2010 at 3:42 PM. Reason: missed the point

Yeah, I meant the vertical tilt of the blade. I was cutting 90 degree cuts and they were off a good deal. So I need to make the blade perfectly perpendicular (or as close as I can get it) to the base.

It has something to do with those back screws (the 90 degree bevel-stop screws), but I can't figure out how the adjust.

Thanks for offering to help

-Greg