Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons From Bill Grumbine

Lessons From Bill Grumbine

Well, I've been itching to get up to see Bill for over two years now and I was finally able to make it this week. The lessons learned over the two days are too numerable to list here but lets just say that if you are a hobbyist like me and you think you know how to turn, then taking lessons from someone like Bill will be an awakening. Bill was a tremendous teacher as well as host along with his wife and daughter. What a truly wonderful family. If any of you may be considering going to see Bill I would encourage you to the fullest.

Tony

p.s. - the line across my forehead in the close up photo isn't from where Bill smacked me in the head, although I gave him plenty of reasons to do so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

"Soldier On"

What an opportunity, Tony! Congratulations on having a couple days with a master turner. Life Is Good!!

Congrats Tony! Glad you finally got the chance to go!

Sure looks like you had a lot of fun! You going to pick up a Robust now that you've turned on one?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congratulations on a super learning experience! I have his first DVD and look forward to getting his second. Learning from him first hand is still a distant dream!

Tony, what a great opportunity!! Congrats!

I do notice that Bill has the advantage over you in several areas, not the least of which is his "turning muscle!" You need to get to work on that!

Good for you! I'd be lying if I denied feeling anything but a little envious. Looking forward to seeing some of your new knowledge applied.

Sounds like a great time. Bill is going to be giving a demo for our club later this year and that is one I will definitely go to.

From the pictures, it looks like you guys could be related. I can't be the first to notice a resemblance!

Doug

Congrats Tony. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Awesome Tony! Bill looks like a great guy and from the look in your face the experience was wonderful!

I have to agree with John that he has more advantage than you on the turning muscle! I also believe that it is as important as the waist move!!! ha!!!!! I strongly recommend the Hula hula to master it!!

Best Regards!

For those of you who have seen his videos it's no stretch to imagine the laughs we had over the two days.

Steve, the Robust is one awesome machine but it's set up for Bill so it was a couple of inches too tall for me but we made it work. The stainless steel ways are unbelievable as far as sliding the headstock or tailstock and you don't have any worries about wet wood messing them up either. And the tilt away tailstock mechanism is really nice too. I'm going to get one of those for sure. I don't have much of an issue removing the tailstock but as time marches on I'm sure it will be more of an issue.

John, to give some perspective to the photos, I'm 5'8' and 210lbs. His turning muscle is, ummmm, impressive.

And when Bill says you can see his wood pile from outer space he isn't kidding. Oh, and he also sent me home with a truck full of Norway Maple, Walnut, and Cherry.

I turned all Norway Maple while I was there and one of the bowls has some really nice curl to it. The small NE has a bunch of the curl as well.

Once again, I can't emphasis enough that if you have the opportunity to take lessons from Bill don't hesitate.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Sounds like fun and a great way to get better at the craft. Bill's dvd's are some of my fav's. Glad to hear you had a great time and learned a lot.

Tony,

Color me green. Looks like fun was had by all, and no bad words had to be spoken!

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

The things that you get to do after you retire! Looks like you had fun.

I tried the Robust as well and it's an amazing machine. I believe that David Ellsworth contributed to the development of this great lathe. I like that you can remove the tailstock so easily just by twisting it to the side, which actually allows you to have direct front access to the piece you're turning. It has great power and it does not move at all or vibrates, at least with the logs I used. I also like their tool rest. It's one of the best I've ever used.

Hope you get one of these. For me it is unaffordable at this moment, since I'd have to pay not only for the lathe but also for shipping and handling to my country.

Looks like an awesome time and I bet it went by too quickly.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns