Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first projects (what would you build)

Blog Entries

first projects (what would you build)

My first woodworking course begins on Monday (nice!!!!!). Studying at Jeffry Lohr's place in Schwenksville PA.

Up until now I've only done construction work (http://rieferbarn.shutterfly.com/).

Anyways, as I day dream my way until class, I'm sitting here thinking about how I'll hone skills after the class. Here's my plan, interested in what approach you would take if you could start again, or any other comments:

- Outfit the shop.. workbenches, cabinets, etc. Good first project because if it goes wrong, but is still functional, it's ok.

-Adirondak chairs for our yard. I need a bunch, practice makes perfect, and this is a pretty easy project even without taking a course.

- Captain's beds for kids.. Again, not terribly complex, but working on the drawers will be good practice.

- Rocking chairs for porch.. Need at least 2. A step up from adirondak chairs project.

- Nice dinner table and matching chairs for porch. The most refined of the project.

I think by that point, I'll be quite a ways into the future, and be very comfortable having utilized my new skills etc. Of course, this is all pie in the sky, but it's sort of fun to think about. As you can tell, I'm excited about the class!

What do you think?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

My projects tend to come from necessity rather than artistic inspiration.

Most of the furniture pieces that I've made to date have been for my workshop (cabinets, shelving, workbenches, etc.), with some general carpentry and small built-in projects around the house.

I'm still working on my first real furniture piece for the house -- a pine "dry sink" from plans using M&T joints and raised panel doors. This is also my first experience milling boards from rough stock, gluing up panels, etc. I expected to have it done in time for Christmas......

Each time I build something for the shop, I try a different joinery and/or finishing method. I figure that it's better for me to make mistakes on workshop pieces instead of butchering my stash of 8/4 black walnut, which I'm saving for when my skills improve.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    My first woodworking course begins on Monday (nice!!!!!). Studying at Jeffry Lohr's place in Schwenksville PA.

Up until now I've only done construction work (http://rieferbarn.shutterfly.com/).

Anyways, as I day dream my way until class, I'm sitting here thinking about how I'll hone skills after the class. Here's my plan, interested in what approach you would take if you could start again, or any other comments:

- Outfit the shop.. workbenches, cabinets, etc. Good first project because if it goes wrong, but is still functional, it's ok.

-Adirondak chairs for our yard. I need a bunch, practice makes perfect, and this is a pretty easy project even without taking a course.

- Captain's beds for kids.. Again, not terribly complex, but working on the drawers will be good practice.

- Rocking chairs for porch.. Need at least 2. A step up from adirondak chairs project.

- Nice dinner table and matching chairs for porch. The most refined of the project.

I think by that point, I'll be quite a ways into the future, and be very comfortable having utilized my new skills etc. Of course, this is all pie in the sky, but it's sort of fun to think about. As you can tell, I'm excited about the class!

What do you think?

I'd start with the outdoor chairs, then on to the kids beds because:

-You won't really know how you want your shop cabinets / workbench set up until you get a few WW projects under your belt.
    -Rocking chairs look fairly easy but are actually very difficult (most take classes to learn how to do these)
    -The dining table and chairs you want to turn out great (heirloom) so you will want to use good wood that you will not mess up.

So there's my $0.02
    -Brian
    Last edited by Brian Kincaid; 04-08-2010 at 2:50 PM. Reason: forgot about the beds

Although Brian is right about not really knowing how you want your shop furniture to turn out yet, I think that shop furniture can be one of the best projects to dive into to gain practise and confidence. I agree that you shouldn't completely outfit your shop but a few cabinets and an assembly table will give you a great start as well as some storage/workspace for future projects and tools. And the mistakes don't much mean anything to anyone other than you. The bench is something I would hold off on for a bit until you know exactly what you're looking for and design it around your style of work. For example, handtool benches can be much different than if you plan to do most work by machine.

I can just about imagine how excited you are about your class. If chosen properly they are an unbelievable resource. A while back I signed up for a night adult ed WW class that was local and ended up fairly dissapointed with it. Really never learned much and actually helped others in the class more than I received help. It was basically just pick a project and work on it and the teacher would come by to see how things were going. I didn't need as much help as the other therefore most of the teachers time was spent with them. Needless to say it was a waste. But that was my fault for choosing the class I guess.

I'll bet we've all thought about this. Here are my candidates:
    1) a dovetail project
    2) a mortise-tenon project

Candidates:
    1) a box. Almost has to be for a specific purpose. A paneled bottom box, hinged lid on top will teach you almost everything you need to know about this large fraction of joinery.

2) A "table" ( non-sitdown, non-serious table ), like a sharpening stand, tool stand, flower stand, or outdoor table.

Non-candidate:
    Kitchen table. Needs a lot of wood and is much more difficult than it appears.

My vote would be a marking gauge. I went in whole hog with buying power tools at first. But am finding I enjoy hand tools better and it seems if you want to do fine work you will eventually incorporate hand tools to some extent.

I like this design: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...Marking_Gauge/

I have made two of them and made some changes the second time:
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135945

Good luck and have fun!
    Salem

Main workbench. You can learn more from doing that than anything else [as a first project], and you will benefit from having one when you start to do other stuff.

Mine is 12 yrs old, and - yes - I would do it a little differently if I was starting over today, but that is nibbling around the margins, and I cannot imagine that I will ever make another one - this one is just ducky. Everything was so much easier once I had a bench - I could actually focus on making things, not arranging a flat surface and all those clamps once I got it organized.

Read all the excellent materials available on bench design and construction, and tee it up.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My projects usually come from the wife's necessity

Workbench and cabinets for the shop would be my first if I could do it all over again. Anything you make for the shop, try and use different joinery methods and work on them before you try them on expensive woods. Worked great for me.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I would start with a good sturdy workbench. Mine is about 5 years old, with a 3" thick top, vise, scads of dog holes, and clamp attachments in the middle of it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I would start with a good sturdy workbench. Mine is about 5 years old, with a 3" thick top, vise, scads of dog holes, and clamp attachments in the middle of it.

Doc
    That's what I decided to start with...but I was talked into updating my electrical configuration too--so those will end up being my first projects!

Bill

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm obviously really excited about the class. The workbench idea sounds like a really fun one to start with, and I am a big believer that a useful shop is much more pleasant to work in (hence my barn build) so it will fit in with that philosophy nicely. Anyone want to share some pics of their early project?
    - Bob R.

I would start with the shop first! Wish I would've done it that way! A good workbench, some infeed/outfeed tables, storage cabinets/shelves/wall systems... assembly table/carts...

I have SOOOOOOO many things I want to do/make for the shop, but I have too many projects on my list.. need a break in the list!!

I would build an assembly table, preferably one you can move around. It's a real PITA to put projects together when you don't have anything to assemble them on. Once I had that done, THEN I'd start the workbench.

Apply some skills you learned from the A-Table and correct any mistakes you made so your bench turns out better. A key thing is to not obsess over getting everything perfect, because you'll probably scrap both of these things in a few years to make something even better.
    - Kirk Simmons
    - Eagan, MN

Blog Entries
    kirk wrote
    A key thing is to not obsess over getting everything perfect
    ha ha, if I learned one thing from saving a badly neglected barn without any helpers or any formal training... it's that sometimes "good enough" really is perfect.
    - Bob R.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Simmons View Post
    I would build an assembly table, preferably one you can move around. It's a real PITA to put projects together when you don't have anything to assemble them on. Once I had that done, THEN I'd start the workbench.
    Sage advice!