Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Jet Live Center Vs. the Oneway Lve Center?

Opinions on the Jet Live Center Vs. the Oneway Lve Center?

I've been looking at getting a new live center, and I've heard good things about the Oneway. I also looked the the Jet version, and it looks to be pretty much the same thing, but at a lower price. Does anyone who has used both have any opinions as to which they prefer? Is the Oneway worth the extra cost over the price of the Jet? TIA.

Matt

Jet http://www.amazon.com/o/asin/B0006IHIFQ/3--20/

Oneway http://www.amazon.com/o/asin/B001DT3BLC/3--20/

I have never used the Oneway so cannot comment on that one. I have the Jet and the Nova system and really like the Nova, it is excellent and the one that is used, always.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...9-c9e47faac335

i have only used the jet not the oneway

the jet works very nice, i normally use the inside small point and cone revolving center with a cup drive center, works well for finials, the large revolving point center i normally use, i usually start things out between centers, rough shape and make tendon

Ditto there is absolutely nothing wrong with the JET - it's awesome.

I only have the Oneway system, so can't speak to the differences with the Jet. I like the Oneway, despite the price. One distinct edge it might have over other centers is the 3/4 inch thread on the end. I picked up a used tap for less than $5 that I use to thread different jam chuck-type scrap pieces to fit on the center.

Hi Matt,

I have two of the Oneway centers and would not want to be without them.

It seems that the Jet is a direct copy of the Oneway center. I am not sure if they use the same quality bearings or not.

I remember when I first saw the Jet live center, I called Kevin from Oneway and asked it they had licensed them to Jet as they looked like an exact copy. He said they had not.

I have had both of mine for over ten years and they have both been givin excellent service without any problems.

The reason for two? One is a number 2 taper and one is a number 3 taper.

Best wishes,

Dave

No experience with the JET but very satisfed with quality and durability of the Oneway.

8. I have both centers and find them both to be great! Both have the 3/4" thread to adapt things.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Owen View Post
    I've been looking at getting a new live center, and I've heard good things about the Oneway. I also looked the the Jet version, and it looks to be pretty much the same thing, but at a lower price. Does anyone who has used both have any opinions as to which they prefer? Is the Oneway worth the extra cost over the price of the Jet? TIA.
    I have both. I actually have 3 of the Jet Live centers and 1 of the one way. Turns out that Work is boring and EBay is fun and so I have way less money than I should... *sigh*

There are a few differences that I have been able to detect but so far they are all cosmetic. What other have said here is completely true. The JET is pretty much a straight up knock-off of the OneWay live center.

So the differences I have notices. The OneWay has this lovely chromed body with a nice laser etching on the side saying OneWay. My Jet is black with white lettering on it. I called around when I was first looking because I really wanted to know. I was told that OneWay had put a patent on the chrome plating of the live center and was the reason Jet's is black. I can't verify that but it was interesting to hear. Beyond the color I found that the fit and finish of the OneWay is ever so slightly better than the Jet. It just feels more... "polished" in the hand when I am putting it in and removing.

But in terms of use I have never noticed any difference. Both run 100% true. Both line up dead-on point to point with my drive center point when comparing them. Both run true and provide precision support for a work piece.

Now here is where it gets interesting in terms of an add-on difference. My OneWay came with this large reversible bull-nose cone as seen in the picture from amazon. The one that came with my Mustard Monster didn't have that. One of the 2 add-on Jet live centers had it and the other did not. It was kind of a minor annoyance that 2 of them didn't have it.

Probably the only other thing worth mentioning on my part is that I feel silly. I have 2 lathes and 4 high quality live centers. Ah well. Should anything ever die I suppose I have some replacements.

I don't know if a link to ebay is allowed on here. (If not hopefull the Mods can remove the link and leave the rest of the post.) But one of the Jet live centers I bought was from here:

http:// cgi.ebay.com/JET-Dual-Bearing-Live-Center-2-MT_W0QQitemZ400114025815QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Tool _Work_Holding?hash=item5d28a78557
    (copy address to your browser and remove space after // before activating link)

$42.95 with < $6 in shipping was a pretty slamming deal. So I was weak and couldn't resist. I got my OneWay from Hartville Tool on sale for I think $89. Normally $119. For that big a difference in price I would get the Jet every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Joshua
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 04-12-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: removed direct link to ebay - against TOS

my mustard also did not come with the bull nose cone which I wasn't happy about since I had sold my oneway live center thinking I was getting basically the same thing.

They definitely performed the same though.

Love my oneway's. I am about to order a 3rd one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for all of the help. I decided to get the Jet due to the price difference. I could get the Oneway for $96+ tax at Rockler with a 20% off coupon, but for only $49 I decided to go with the Jet. So now I can spend the other $47 on wood (or maybe another tool ). Thanks again.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Love my oneway's. I am about to order a 3rd one.
    Bernie, What do you use the extra ones for? I have 2 lathes and 4 of these suckers now so I am wondering how to press them into service.

Thanks,
    Joshua

A note about the One Way

I have three of the One Way live centers and the oldest is about 11 years old. No problems with any of them.

As an inventor and a manufacturer myself, I don't buy copies of anything. It is a shameful practice that I will not support.

If any of you are looking for a second or third One Way live center, it is not necessary to buy it with a new set of Aluminum cones. Packard,, www.packardwoodworks.com sells just the live center with the center point and a knock out bar. This way you aren't forced to keep buying the cones.

Don Geiger

Quote Originally Posted by Don Geiger View Post
    As an inventor and a manufacturer myself, I don't buy copies of anything. It is a shameful practice that I will not support.
    I'm not trying to start a fight, but you don't buy copies of anything? Not even an aftermarket car part, or even a generic prescription drug? I find that a little hard to believe.

I don't have a problem with you not wanting to support copy cat products, but calling the practice shameful is a bit overboard.

I'm probably a bit defensive since I bought the Jet, but I think your statement might be a bit hypocritical.

Matt