Thread: custom branding irons or stamps

custom branding irons or stamps

I am going to post this in the woodworking forum, but thought you engraving guys might have the inside track on it. I am looking for someone who can make me a custom branding iron for woodworking projects. I have one (I think its from Lee Valley), but let's just say that the design I want is not something they can do.

I want the outline of a body of water set inside a circle, with the name following the outside border of the circle on the top and the bottom.
    (I wish I knew how to post pictures, wait I think I just figured it out.)

Anyway, if the picture came through attached, the body of water is the Mobjack Bay, and the red line is the pattern I would want the iron to leave on the wood, inside a circle, with "Mobjack Bay" arcing around the top of the circle, and "Woodworks" arcing around the bottom.

Hopefully this makes sense, and if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. It doesnt have to be an electric iron, I could heat it with a torch. Even if someone could make an ink stamp that would transfer permanently enough to unfinished wood I would be open to that. I would also prefer that the logo not be any larger than necessary, so that it would still be usable on small projects. Let's say I would like it to fit on a largish business card.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mac

I just did a Yahoo search for "custom branding irons for wood" and came up with lots of hits - I would try that search.
    Pete
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

Somebody with a CNC Machine may be able to help

I'm not too sure which metals they can cut... I know they do aluminium...

they may be able to engrave brass for you

We have a CNC forum here at Sawmill Creek

Otherwise you could try an acid etch.

I use to have hot foil plates made by etching which may do the job.

Just some ideas

Regards

Roy N.
    Roy N.
    from Birkdale on the Bay Brisbane, Australia
    Skype ID is roynicho

Windows XP...Gravograph LS 100 30 Watt...Corel Draw x4...Photoshop CS 3...GravoStyle 5
    and struggling with most of them...but enjoying it.

Possible for tagging my work?

Anyone know someone that can make this into a wood burning iron?
    Thanks,
    CDog
    Attached Files Attached Files
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

I use rubber stamps on all of my wood items. Have never had a problem with the ink coming off as I put it on the unfinished bottom of what I do and the ink soaks right in. You can have a custom stamp made for much cheaper than a branding iron and you don't have to heat it.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

When using a rubber stamp, you want to make sure there is no excess ink on the stamp, or it will bleed into the grain of the wood. You can prevent this by inking it on the pad as normal, then stamp it on a piece of paper, 'then' stamp it on your wood. The paper will remove 90% of the excess ink, but leave enough surface ink to mark the wood as a secondary impression without a bleed.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Good tip !!!!

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Great Idea!

Where would one get a rubberstamp custome made????
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Lupe Duncan View Post
    Great Idea!

Where would one get a rubberstamp custome made????
    If you don't have a laser yourself, you can have someone from here that's close to you make one, or use Corel to design your own in black and white artwork, then take it into Staples, or some office supply place. They can have it made for you.. I make them, but the cost to send one down from Canada, would be more than the stamp is probably worth..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it