Thread: Bugs and Finish

Bugs and Finish

What is it about bugs and the final coat of finish? I've been trying for three days now to get a bug free final coat of waterlox satin on the top of a desk I'm working on. Sometimes I can't even get the gun put down and there is already one tromping around like Godzilla through my nice even finish.

I'm spraying this in my garage with the doors open. I've tried spraying, and waiting for the cloud to dissipate and then closing the doors. No-Go, still a bug cemetery. Last night I built a mosquito net to go over the desk and tried lowering that over the desk. Didn't work out to well as the net brushed up against the finish and there was still, somehow, a bug in the finish.

It is not like I have a constant bug problem at my house. In fact I never see one until I start to spray the finish.

So are they attracted to the smell? Do they see the fumes with their bug vision? Do they fly over it and the fumes act like the Bermuda Triangle and pull them in? What is it that attracts them and more importantly, how do I keep them out?

A bug may have added to the value in Jurassic Park but I don't think it will help here. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to pass along?

It's spring.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

It's spring is a great answer Phil...

Since the bugs don't land in the same place each time have you considered letting the waterlox cure for a month or so then rubbing out the finish?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

finish incedents

Until just recently I shared shop space with my cat. If I had a dollar for every time I had to sand out cat hair.
    But it has been my experience that bugs hate air movement, if it doesn't effect your spray pattern try running a fan.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks guys. The post was more out of frustration than anything. We had some rain in the ATL yesterday and the temp dropped a little. Between the two, I was able to finally get a bug free finish for the top.

JSH - If the desk were going to be mine I might have considered waiting a month and then rubbing out the finish but this is for a customer who is pretty anxious to receive it.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Have you ever considered pre-catalyzed lacquer?
    With garage doors open, expecially if you have a back door for air flow, and an HVLP gun you should not have a problem.
    As far as bugs go, you only have to keep them off the lacquer for about 5 minutes maximum. Recoat in 15 to 20 minutes and your are finished with your project.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville