Thread: For the ones that do veneering

For the ones that do veneering

Veneering a flat panel have you ever used the breather net on top instead of a platen.

I've read several reports of those who used it & liked it -- I tried it and had some of the mesh grid marks telegraph onto the veneer. Sanded out ok but I still use a platen where I can (seems like I always need a new size however so platen's have their downside, too!).

Works fine for me.

I've been using breather mesh from Joe Woodworker (VeneerSupplies dot com) for a couple of years now with no problems. I prefer the mesh to making and storing platens.

-- Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Harding View Post
    I've been using breather mesh from Joe Woodworker (VeneerSupplies dot com) for a couple of years now with no problems. I prefer the mesh to making and storing platens.

-- Phil
    +1

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I tried the mesh years ago, but gave up on it. In my view, there's no need for it. It is supposed to help allow air to escape to the vacuum pump, but it turns out that air escapes to the pump even without the mesh. I get perfectly solid bonding without the mesh.

I've used fiberglass window screen which helps for fast evacuation of air but not any more pressure.

I have used the mesh in my limited experience. I had a lot of bleed through with Zebra veneer and it came off with a little effort using a card scraper. I think it would have been a lot of sanding without the mesh.

I have never tried it. I thought it was only used when you veneer without a platten (curved work...). Does it prevent glue sticking to the bag?

I use a platen on the bottom, larger than my veneered piece to ensure everything stays flat, and use the mesh on top. I've not had any problems with indentations in my piece. I have had one piece that I got some bleed thru that caused some problems with gluing the mesh to the piece, but I got it loose with some careful work. Getting the excess glue out of the mesh is a pain. But I'll continue to use it as I think it is simplier than more platens. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone used laminate covered platens with success ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
    <snip> but has anyone used laminate covered platens with success ?
    I always use laminate on the veneer side of (MDF) platens -- with 1/8" grooves at ~2" spacing on the opposite side. Very satisfied with performance but as mentioned a pain to make/store new sizes.

I do the same as Tim. I put a thin board over the veneer and either a piece of window screen or a towel on top of that. Screen, towel, what ever is just to help the even the vacuum over the entire surface. I have had problems using a platen that is too thick.
    Jack-Bench
    Adjustable Height Workbench Plans

I use a bottom platten with slots cut about every 2" and mesh on top - no problems. I personally like it a lot better than a top platten. It is also easy to cut and shape to your needs.