Thread: Router Input

Router Input

Need to retire my 30 yr old router---I'm shopping for a D-handle router because I want the trigger in the grip(like my ancient router)--Having the switch away from the grip is not my first choice---so I am looking at D-handle bases. There are 3 machines with a D-handle that interest me. milwaukee 5619-20 (1.7HP)(short on power according to online reviews) ---PC691-11(1.75HP) (bases warp according to reviews online) and DeWalt 618D(2.25HP) I dont live near a vendor where i can see all of these in person so I am asking for some input. You know how inconsistent online reviews can be--anything you like or dont like about any of these--(don't want plunge and it wont be going in a table) I have also looked at the bosch and makita but they are priced a bit high .

Pay the money for Bosch or PC
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Porter-Cable

I have two d-handle PC routers (although they are the older models) at my job and we upgraded the base plates to be large and thicker which may be why I never noticed any measurable warp. The base plates are shop made out of 1/2" phenylic. I like the d- handle trigger as well for pure ease of on and off.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Pay the money for Bosch or PC
    Highly agreed. Have had a Craftsman, dewalt, and a few others. My Bosch and PC have been my best by far.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I might get shot for saying this, but I have a (gulp) Craftsman (frantically looking back and forth), and I love it. It is a 2 1/4HP and mine came with 3 bases. There is also a 2 base combo available as well. Check it out..
    Chuck

I have the bosch and love it, the PC is also good probably more of a workhourse the bosch is, but the bosch feels bit more refined in the electronics. Both are great. Although since I got a festool neithor get used except in a table, good dustcollections is great to have with a router.
    -=Jason=-

Maybe there are different classes of PC equipment now, but the latest PC stuff I've seen has put me off the idea of buying any new product from PC.

Bruce - I typically don't give reviews a lot of weight for a variety of reasons (in contrast the Amazon reviews mostly rave about it). AFAIK, the 5619-20 is based on the 5615 11 amp motor, which is anything but weak relative to other 11 amp motors I've used. I've sold my PC690 and Bosch 1617 and have kept the MW5615 and the Hitachi M12VC...it all depends on what you like.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-10-2010 at 9:22 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I might get shot for saying this, but I have a (gulp) Craftsman (frantically looking back and forth), and I love it. It is a 2 1/4HP and mine came with 3 bases. There is also a 2 base combo available as well. Check it out..
    That's it, we need to lock and load, travel to Madison even if it takes all night!!!! Just kidding Chuck. Look at it this way, you KNOW Sears didn't make the router,could be from ANY of the major tool companies, so WHO made it shouldn't be as important as the fact that you're happy with it. That's what matters in the end

Depends what you want to spend..

I picked up a Milwaukee 1 3/4 HP kit with 2 bases.. its okay..

In that size, I have a Festool, PC and Milwaukee.. I like them in the order listed..

The Milwaukee is not a bad machine.. just okay..

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    That's it, we need to lock and load, travel to Madison even if it takes all night!!!! Just kidding Chuck. Look at it this way, you KNOW Sears didn't make the router,could be from ANY of the major tool companies, so WHO made it shouldn't be as important as the fact that you're happy with it. That's what matters in the end
    It really is a good router. The motor can be mounted in most all of the lift type router plates.. I am thinking about upgrading to the Rockler, or Woodpecker lift plates.
    Chuck