Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groz bench planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Smith View Post
    Hi,
    I did buy a groz #4 for about $40 when I just started ww hobby 3 year ago. I did not know any different between a good and a bad one. And actually did not start using it until last winter. Since I already had one so I wanted to make it works. I read alot about plan tunning and bought a set of hock blade and chipbreaker for $70 shipped.
    With a bit of touch up and tunning the plan works beautifully now.
    This is just a learning process and I am happy it works out find. But I will go for LV plane next time. Actually I have my eyes on the LV#7 now. And I will get it in the near future.
    What You did is what a guy at Highland Woodworking recommended to me a few years ago--said the Anant planes can be decent if you put a Hock blade in 'em.

If you do decide to go to the show at Peach State, you may want to visit their website, www.peachstatelumber.com, before you go. They have a nice selection of hardwoods.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

I think you'd be better off with something that has better bones to start with, whether via an older Millers Falls, Record, Bailey, Bedrock, Union, Sargent, or a newer Lie Nielsen/Veritas, which all have superior precision and metal choices in key areas than the inexpensive modern planes made overseas. Compare almost any part of a new Groz, Footprint, or even a new Stanley Sweetheart to the parts used on a plane made prior to 1950...everything from screws, levers, caps, adjusters, soles and totes is either thinner, sloppier, softer, lower grade, cheaper, or all of the above.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-12-2010 at 7:46 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thing is,a beginner may not know what to do o a cheap plane to make it better. He may also not have the tool skills to file the frog flat,etc..