Thread: Sommerfeld Drawer Lock Joint Bit

Sommerfeld Drawer Lock Joint Bit

Anyone have any experience with this bit? Im getting the 6 piece Cabinetmaking set and thought this might compliment it well? Thanks Eric

Eric,

It is a great router bit set!. PM sent regarding link to an article I wrote.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

I would be interested in that article as well. I have one and am getting ready to use it for the first time this weekend. Thanks.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I would be interested in that article as well. I have one and am getting ready to use it for the first time this weekend. Thanks.
    Same here.
    Thanks
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Could you put me on the list for that article, too? I have never used a drawer lock bit, but I have heard they are quite fussy.
    Jack-Bench
    Adjustable Height Workbench Plans

Al
    I also am interested in your experience. I have used other DLM bits but have not
    used the Sommerfield bits. Are they special?

I really like the DLM for drawer construction. It is strong, easy to machine, and very forgiving.

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by John Morrison60; 04-10-2010 at 5:48 PM. Reason: punctuation

Al, thanks for the article. I looked at that bit and it looks even better then the drawer lock one. Lots of glue surface and attractive enough joint, but the regular version has a minimum of 3/4" thickness and i want to use it for 1/2" drawer parts. The baby lock bit would work, but doesn't coordinate with Marc's easy set up jig which I will be buying. The drawer lock bit has no min/max thickness and does coordinate with the jig, so i probably will go with that one.

I will be using this Sommerfeld set-up to build built-ins and need everything to work out efficiently in order to justify not subbing out doors and drawers and waiting 2 weeks. Fooling around to get perfect fits will definitely cost me money, otherwise I would go with the baby lock miter bit. Eric

Thanks, everyone. I have been busy in the shop, and have not checked in for a while.

The TOS prevents me from posting a direct link to the article on my blog. However, look up the URL to my web site in my Profile, then search on the blog for the phrase "lock miter" without the quotes.

Once you get a good feel for the lock miter, you can zero in on the setup very quickly. I have used it to make Stickley-type legs; they turn out great.

Last edited by Al Navas; 04-10-2010 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Add one word.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking