Thread: Anyone else like their Termite Tool?

Anyone else like their Termite Tool?

I got one for Christmas and I've just gotten around to trying it. Works great on end grain and pretty well on face grain. I've seen a fair number of negative comments on it, but for me anyway, it's a treat.

Any one else like it?
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Had one a couple of years ago, but sold it. It was one of my first turning tools, so I suspect I didn't give it enough time as my skills were no doubt wanting, but I also found that the cutter was so small that it kept clogging (no, I did not purchase the separate, largest cutter). I have since bought a Sorby 1" ring tool, and like it, though - but still haven't used it all that much.

Talking

I have had mine for about 4 months. But, I just started using it about a month ago. And, I love it. I am making a lot of end grain maple boxes, and it works really well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    I got one for Christmas and I've just gotten around to trying it. Works great on end grain and pretty well on face grain. I've seen a fair number of negative comments on it, but for me anyway, it's a treat.

Any one else like it?
    Scott I don't do a lot of endgrain turning, but for that it is the cats meow, beats any scraper or gouge IMO.

And yes it does have its learning curve, as for clogging, if used for endgarain and held properly, it shouldn't clog, though I must confess it does that to me at times , though it should give curls off the inside edge rolling out, some wood just doesn't know how to behave I guess .

A hook tool won't clog, but it has some real nasty habits, at least mine does

But for a good finish off of the tool, you can't beat a cutting tool, no matter how fancy the scrapers are, and that's just my opinion
    Have fun and take care

Hey Scott,
    I bought one several years ago; my first "specialty" tool for end-grain hollowing. Maby I'm just a "scardey cat", but I never got comfortable sharpening that thing!! I bought a Sorby Multi-tip hollowing tool last year and it is now my go-to tool for end grain boxes. I will wind up selling the termite; good tool, just don't like sharpening it.
    Ray Binnicker

I use one on all my goblets.
    It will cut end grain like a dream.
    I have modified mine a bit with a longer thicker shaft and a longer handle for deeper hollowing.
    Holding it at the correct angle and sharpening are key to the cut.

Love mine, especially on end grain. I do not get great results on face grain. I do not think there is much of a learning curve with this tool and I think it get s bad rep. I just read the instructions and I was fine..

Been using mine for a number of years, had a steep learning curve still get some catches but it's my go to tool have used it on bowls. goblets & HF. Bought the 5/8 cutter, clogs less then the smaller cutters.