Thread: Quick flushtrim bit advice

Quick flushtrim bit advice

I started off with cheaper MLCS bits with the plan to replace my heavily used bits with higher quality as needed.

Well, the time has come. The screw on my flush trim (bottom bearing) failed, sending the bearing rocketing off during a flush trim operation and causing me to gouge my workpiece. On closer inspection, the threads inside the bit are damaged, so they don't hold the screw securely - it tightens but another quarter turn loosens it completely such that it pulls out. I suppose I could try to epoxy the screw into the bit but I'd rather not futz around with it. Since it's a problem inside the bit itself, I probably need a replacement.

Thinking of picking up a 1/2" or 3/4" Freud or CMT from Amazon ($20-$25). Any deals/sales going on anywhere or other recommendations? I've got a few projects that are stalled on this so I'd like to pull the trigger soon.

Victor, you got your $$'s worth out of the MLCS bit. Onward and Upward! Step up to 1/2" shank bits if you haven't already. There are always deals on eBay for better bits like Freud. Often times shipping cost makes or breaks the deal.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I started off with cheaper MLCS bits with the plan to replace my heavily used bits with higher quality as needed.

Well, the time has come. The screw on my flush trim (bottom bearing) failed, sending the bearing rocketing off during a flush trim operation and causing me to gouge my workpiece. On closer inspection, the threads inside the bit are damaged, so they don't hold the screw securely - it tightens but another quarter turn loosens it completely such that it pulls out. I suppose I could try to epoxy the screw into the bit but I'd rather not futz around with it. Since it's a problem inside the bit itself, I probably need a replacement.

Thinking of picking up a 1/2" or 3/4" Freud or CMT from Amazon ($20-$25). Any deals/sales going on anywhere or other recommendations? I've got a few projects that are stalled on this so I'd like to pull the trigger soon.
    I have a Freud, and a 3 cutting edge Rockler bit. I like them both. The Rockler bit with its three cutting edges cuts real smooth. Its a 1/2" shank and around a 2" length.

I don't have any particular brands to recommend but after years of using small diameter quarter inch shank bits picked up real cheap at woodworking shows I got a 3/4" bit with a half inch shank and three cutting edges. All the difference in the world.
    And now for something completely different....

Thanks for the recs guys.

Yeah, I was on the 1/2" shank boat from the get-go.

I think I'm going to go with a CMT bit from Amazon. 1/2" D, 1-1/2" CL. $22 delivered.

If you do any flush trim template routing on pieces with curved edges, you might want to think about flush trim bits with dual bearings, one on top, one on bottom.

• Double bearing design allows you to choose the
    cutting direction that best suits your work piece.
    • Let you rout half the curve in one direction,
    flip the work piece over and rout the other half
    in the opposite direction without repositioning your pattern.
    • Perfect for templates placed above or below the work
    piece, or to trim laminates or veneer perfectly flush
    with countertops, shelving and other projects.

Freud: 50-501 (1/2" Dia)
    50-509 (3/4" Dia)

Whiteside: 2710 (3/4" dia)

Jim

Check out Infinity as well. They make some fine router bits, and I have been receiving emails about sales for months now. My favorite flush trim bits are spiral carbide from Whiteside. They aren't cheap but they work great and last a long time.

Oh, I don't know if Woodcraft has had their $5bit sale lately, but last time they did I bought a pile of them, and their flush rim bits work well, especially for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crockett View Post
    If you do any flush trim template routing on pieces with curved edges, you might want to think about flush trim bits with dual bearings, one on top, one on bottom.

• Double bearing design allows you to choose the
    cutting direction that best suits your work piece.
    • Let you rout half the curve in one direction,
    flip the work piece over and rout the other half
    in the opposite direction without repositioning your pattern.
    • Perfect for templates placed above or below the work
    piece, or to trim laminates or veneer perfectly flush
    with countertops, shelving and other projects.

Freud: 50-501 (1/2" Dia)
    50-509 (3/4" Dia)

Whiteside: 2710 (3/4" dia)

Jim
    +1 on these types of bits. I have the Lee Valley...http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46171&ap=1
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 04-10-2010 at 8:35 AM.

In my opinion CMT bits bite. I had one with a bearing off center that ruined an expensive piece. As soon as the bearing hit the work all hell broke loose, brand new bit mind you, and broke ruining the piece I already had about 30 hours in. CMT said, "OH well" and I have not bought another one since.

I like Whiteside the best, get very long service and great cuts at a reasonable price. For a hobbiest one of the larger whitesides would last for years. Keep in mind the larger the diameter the better the cut. I use a Whiteside 1 1/4" unless there is an inside curve that is a smaller radius than that.

Eagle America has good quality at reasonable prices. I like to use either 3 flute, or bits with a shear angle on them. Both give very good quality cuts.

One tip is to use the shortest bit you can. If you'll mostly be cutting 3/4" material, use a 1" bit, as it'll give better results than a 2" bit. Longer bits will magnify any runout, and also can flex more.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Price is almost always commensurate with quality. It is extremely rare that any one company has the magic bullet. They all pretty much have the same cost of doing business. If one particular manufacturer has a much reduced price over another's in what appears to be the same item, they had to cut cost somewhere. Whether it be the quality of steel, carbide, etc. , you can bet something has been cut somewhere.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Blog Entries
    We all have our favorites. Whiteside bits are American made and have never done me wrong plus Brian at Holbren is a member here. For flush trimming use the largest diameter you can. I have several with upper and lower bearings (pattern bits) for the reasons stated.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Flush bit

Good advice here. I like the Infinity and Whiteside stuff. I lean toward the Whiteside-- they just last a long time.

I have not had the luck others have experienced with Freud router bits. I like their saw blades but the router stuff just isn't up to the level of Infinity and Whiteside.

dan

Thanks guys. Final decision is a 3/4" Whiteside double-bearing bit.