Thread: Latest small box project

Latest small box project

Just finished this box a few days ago. Curly / birdseye maple with Koa.
    Finish is WOP.
    Fairly simple design. Actually a clamp fell off it's rack and broke the original lid so I had to remake this one. Just a rabbeted lid. Flocked the bottom panel prior to assembly. First time working with Koa and it sure is nice, similar to mahogany. I have a bit of figured koa I will use for another project.
    Hope you like it. Thanks for looking.
    Working on my photography skills too with my new work camera.

Ryan

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Wow. 170 views and not a single comment???
    That bad eh?
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sparreboom View Post
    That bad eh?
    Hey, I just now saw it. I think it's great!
    Does the lid have a keeper?
    gene
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sparreboom View Post
    That bad eh?
    I might be inclined to argue that people are more likely to post if they see flaws, but that's just my dim view of human nature.

You said you rabbeted the lid; does that mean it is constructed like a cabinet door? I didn't see any evidence of rabbets on the sides; that isn't just glued end grain to long grain, is it?

I do love that koa tho'. I did a recent trip to Hawaii and came away with a serious jonesing to make something out of Koa.

Very nice . That's something I want to build someday but that day hasn't come yet. Good job.

Really nice Ryan. The Koa and Maple look good together. I want to work with both but no lumber mills around here so I need to go somewhere and pick up some of each.

Don't worry about the comments. I post questions sometimes about opinions on tools and such and get 500 views and 12 comments.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty. What is the joint on the top?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It is gorgeous! On the number of posts and no comments just remember there are 50,000 plus members here and only about 20% of those even have 1 post. Even just counting members most people here are just lurkers.

I really dig it! Man I love the maple!!! It's got great contrast with the Koa, really well done. I've got my eye on a piece of quilted maple at the local mill, not sure I want to part with the cash they are asking for it, but I might have too. Truly inspiring. How long have you been building boxes? I really enjoy making boxes, they are usually hard for me to part with when they are done.

Ryan
    I can't help but wonder about the expansion on the lid? You have some cross grain there??

dan

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I look at projects that people post and I can't come up with anything to say about it that many others have not already said. The box looks great to me, I would love to have to chance to work with koa someday, and the maple is beautiful.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Beautiful! Are the keys / splines koa also?

What finish did you use?

Box

Most of the time I am awestruck by the superior quality and beauty of others work; just as I am now. I am usually at a loss for words not wanting to repeat everyone else. Fine job.

Ryan, very nice work on the box, and nice wood combo. On the views vs. comments, of the 45,000 or so folks that use SMC, only a very small handful actually comment on anything. If you catch a time when those "commentators" are offline - weekend, etc., there may be few comments. Even on very popular threads, the comments are a small fraction of the views.

This is a nice piece, and you did good work on it. I think the comments vs. views is simply happenstance!

Well done.... I'll be watching to see the response to the cross-grain situation. Generally that is not a good thing... Ken

I do love the contrasting woods... Good job...
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.