Thread: Simple dust collection question for Ridgid TS3650 table saw

Simple dust collection question for Ridgid TS3650 table saw

I finally pulled the trigger on a real dust collector (Harbor Freight 2hp unit). Now I need to hook it up to my Ridgid TS3650 table saw. The Ridgid table saw has a crude dust chute that says it will hook up to a standard 2 - 1/4 vacuum hose. I need to connect that port to a standard 4" DC hose.

Does anyone know what size reducer (or adapter) to get? Is it 2.5" to 4"? To those that have this table saw: Is there enough room to put this adapter on there? It seems like putting an adapter on there will cause it to hit the leg post?

Anyone know a specific one that fits (online)? Or can I just get a standard 2.5" to 4" at my local Woodcraft and it will work?

Thanks,
    Greg

it is the standard reducer adapter that you mentioned. I use a piece of stiff flexible 2 1/2" tubing (stay-put tubing from Peachtree) to bring out the connection.

i built my own with a piece of 1/2" ply a 4" elbow and some epoxy. ill post some pixs tommorow night.

I have the older TS3612. It had the plastic piece that popped in from the bottom that had a 2 1/2" port at the back edge. I cut this out and put in a 6" piece of PVC and siliconed it in place. ( To see what I did, go to post 68 on this page: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=14427&page=3 ) Works very well. With the HF collector, I'd put a 4" in to hook up. 2 1/2" on a DC will choke the flow down to a level that it won't work very well. Remember, the original set up was designed for a shop vac to hook up to. Two different animals. Your DC is about moving air, the shop vac is about suction.
    Use a jig saw to cut close, and a curved file to get a tight fit. Then lots of silicone, inside and out to secure it. Mine has been installed for about 3 or 4 years and no problems. You might be able to find a 4" toilet flange that will work well and give you something to secure to the dust chute with screws. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Not sure if my old posts are still around but I just closed in the bottom with some hardboard and attached a 5" fitting. Silicone up the cracks and leave part of the back open. Magnetic sign material is great for the back since you have to remove it to change the blade angle.

Much better service than the original shroud and made from scrap. I did angle the side piece to encourage dust to fall to the bottom and get sucked out.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Doesn't this have a square opening on the bottom ~ 12"x12"? If that is right I have a dust collector adapter for this with a 4" port. If you want it it is yours for the price of shipping. PM me if you are interested.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Greg L. Brown View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger on a real dust collector (Harbor Freight 2hp unit). Now I need to hook it up to my Ridgid TS3650 table saw. The Ridgid table saw has a crude dust chute that says it will hook up to a standard 2 - 1/4 vacuum hose. I need to connect that port to a standard 4" DC hose.

Does anyone know what size reducer (or adapter) to get? Is it 2.5" to 4"? To those that have this table saw: Is there enough room to put this adapter on there? It seems like putting an adapter on there will cause it to hit the leg post?

Anyone know a specific one that fits (online)? Or can I just get a standard 2.5" to 4" at my local Woodcraft and it will work?

Thanks,
    Greg
    It gets confusing because there are 2-1/4" and 2-1/2" hoses, and the various adapters available don't interchange between the two. Then you have the other variable of if you need inside or outside diameter connections.

The way I did my TS3650 was to buy a 10ft length of 2-1/2" "dust collection" hose...not a shop vac hose..
    I cut about a 3ft length of this and used a band clamp to attach it to the port on the bottom of the saw.

Then I bought a 2-1/2" to 4" hose adapter to attach this short piece of hose to standard 4" dust collector hose. This way the adapter does not interfere with the bevel adjustment of the sawblade.

Woodcraft had all the parts.

I have a 3650 and like Joe, I closed the bottom and rear then hooked a 4" hose to the bottom. If you go to ridgids site you can search and see multiple pics or if you want pm me and I will find the links and send them to you. Good luck Pat...

I have the 3650 and the HF DC. I closed the bottom up with plywood and attached a 5" flange to the ply. That goes to the 5" duct. Works well though I do need to fashion some sort of above table collection.