Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I would like Lee Valley (or someone) to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wyatt View Post
    Since we are wishing:
    Oh, and a magic button on the website that I can press to make everything half the price!
    For a while I was playing the megamillions lottery with a group of people from work. I kept fantasizing that there would be a "Buy One of Everything" button on the Lee Valley web site.

There used to be a company in Kansas City that was reproducing some foot powered wwing machines cast in aluminum, but memory fails me as to the name.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I'd like to see a Miller's Falls #1 "cigar" type spokeshave. I think it's the kind of thing that could be improved with Veritas/Lee Valley's characteristic tinkering and improvements.

I made one of those cigar shaves for myself, before I ever saw a real one, the way I made it there is no flat on the cutting edge. and it will shave a smaller diameter.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I have a cigar shave.

That CME treadle lathe certainly has a very lightweight flywheel. The one we made-a direct copy of an original in the Science Museum,london,was a LOT heavier. You need inertia to keep the lathe going with much of a cut. We made the flywheel 5" thick and about 24" in diameter,all out of oak. The whole lathe was red oak. Plus,the flywheel had a large forged iron cross on it with a square hole for the crankshaft,and 4 long,hand forged carriage type bolts 1/2" thick. Those things,and the heavy forged crank,all add up to a powerful lathe that could turn metal,though not any thing but smallish parts in metal. It was definitely a pretty powerful wood lathe,too.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Niemiec View Post
    How about a newly designed chipbreaker?
    Now that's funny. Thanks for the levity. The other thread was getting way to serious.
    The Plane Anarchist

How about a good ol North American hollow back chisel. Like the Japanese chisels, but solid A2. So I can flatten the back easier and not feel guilty for quiting early!
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    That's a bit on the excessive side in terms of doing work to save money, though.

What's wrong with vintage stanley bench planes if cost is an issue?
    Your statement in the line above your question may be the answer.

I have an amazing accumulation of old Stanley bench planes that seem to only get better as they get a little tuning here and there.

Of course, if cost is an issue, one should delve a bit deeper into the Neander arts and learn the art of tool tuning and restoration. There are a lot of old tools that would love nothing more than to be put back to work.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

10. Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I can't think that bubinga adds more than $10 to the cost of a plane (in terms incremental cost over plain hardwood). Machining and keeping the lights on probably adds a lot more.

Cheapest way to get a plane you want as a working woodworker (except probably for bevel up) is to buy old woodies, steal their irons and make laminated/krenov planes out of scrap wood. $10 or so per plane. That's a bit on the excessive side in terms of doing work to save money, though.

What's wrong with vintage stanley bench planes if cost is an issue?

for the single digit number stanley bench planes, buying vintage users and fettling them is fine. it's when you get to the more interesting planes that things get difficult. I bought the LV medium shoulder plane because I couldn't find an equivalent stanley quick enough in good enough shape to get the job I needed it for done. having a source for quality tools with fast return time and good customer support is a gosdend. having that source be an aggressive innovator is better yet.

I'd love to see veritas come up with a functional equivalent to a set of hollows and rounds. or a compass plane. or an adjustable travisher.

it's not just about bubinga handles. it's about keeping sight of function and making good tools available to working woodworkers of modest means. I think it's great that the fancy versions are available- I can lust after them in the catalogs and perhaps purchase a few. but what I need is tools that get the job done efficiently and cost effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    for the single digit number stanley bench planes, buying vintage users and fettling them is fine. it's when you get to the more interesting planes that things get difficult. I bought the LV medium shoulder plane because I couldn't find an equivalent stanley quick enough in good enough shape to get the job I needed it for done. having a source for quality tools with fast return time and good customer support is a gosdend. having that source be an aggressive innovator is better yet.

I'd love to see veritas come up with a functional equivalent to a set of hollows and rounds. or a compass plane. or an adjustable travisher.

it's not just about bubinga handles. it's about keeping sight of function and making good tools available to working woodworkers of modest means. I think it's great that the fancy versions are available- I can lust after them in the catalogs and perhaps purchase a few. but what I need is tools that get the job done efficiently and cost effectively.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I made one of those cigar shaves for myself, before I ever saw a real one, the way I made it there is no flat on the cutting edge. and it will shave a smaller diameter.
    Could we have a picture Harry? I was thinking about doing the same with some drill rod and my old Atlas. Your shopmades (I'm thinking of the saw tooth punch) are always instructive.

Mitre box

Hey, how about a remake of a Langdon Acme mitre box (a nice small one). Christopher Schwarz brought one to a class I was taking and it was a big hit. I think it was a 16 1/2. It worked extremely well.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    as a working woodworker, not a hobbyist, I'd like to see the full line of planes with all of the excellent engineering and useful features... but if bubinga handles are going to jack up the price give me the option of beech handles, or probably maple, (snip)
    Hi Bridger -

The Bubinga handles are far less expensive than maple (our first handles were maple). I'm all for less expensive too...!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan McCullough View Post
    I'd like to see a Miller's Falls #1 "cigar" type spokeshave. I think it's the kind of thing that could be improved with Veritas/Lee Valley's characteristic tinkering and improvements.
    Hi Johnathan -

Buy the Miller's Falls - they got the design right. At best - these are very finicky shaves to use.

We've built several variants, and keep coming back to the MF #1. We haven't proceeded with production, as it's my opinion that too many peole would buy them, and be unhappy with the performance.

Cheers -

Rob