Thread: Weird noises from my 16/42 at slow speed

Weird noises from my 16/42 at slow speed

Real curious about everybody else's 16/42.mine all of a sudden makes a very noticable knocking noise at 150 rpm and below.It almost sounds like something,set screw, is hitting somewhere.Turn up the speed control above 150 and it stops making the noise.Below 150 and it gets more pronounced the slower you go.At 75 rpm you almost can feel it. It was not doing it 2 weeks ago.Then last week it was very faint like a lite scuff.I checked all the set screws I could find but nothing was backing out. Is this something that has happened to anybody else.
    Greg

Greg - I am guessing that you removed the drive belt and checked for knock? Also, any chance you have a chuck mounted? I have had knocking before only to find that the chuck had come loose a little bit.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

3. My 1642 did the same thing a year or so ago. I removed the belt and the noise still persisted. Called Jet tech support and they sent a new motor. The lathe has worked perfectly ever since.

Tom

Steve and Tom,
    I do have a chuck mounted but I closed it down so it would not be an issue.I have not remeved the belt yet as I had a bowl that I was finishing.It did not make any noise above 150 so I went ahead and finished.

Tom,
    I will call Jet tech support tomorrow and touch base with them.Is there anybody in particular to talk to.I got the lathe in December so it should not be a problem.I take it that swapping out the motor is a quick and easy operation.

Steve,by the way I got to use my/ your steady rest finally and it worked perfectly.I broke down and mounted a steel corner plate for a magnetic lite.Definitely made it alot easier to see.Thanx
    Greg

Just wanna say I have had that problem a million times only to come to the same discovery Steve came to, the chuck was hardly on lol.

Greg,
    Did you check the set screw for the locking collar? Sometimes folks forget to check that one...

Good luck solving your mystery!

I have a 1220 and it was making a noise too at low speeds mine is the indexing pin is hitting. I am trying to figure out how to remove it I do not ever use it.

Greg, yours is doing exactly as my 1642 EVS2 did, it was a bad motor. Talk to Gary with Jet customer services and he can listen to it over the phone and tell you the problem, or at least he did with mine. Good luck.

Ted

i once left the knock out bar in headstock....about an hour later i finnally figured it out

I talked to Danny at Jet this morning and verified the noise with the belt removed.It is also getting worse,noise at higher rpm's and a vibration at approximately 5 to 600 rpm.Shakes the lathe something fierce.Getting ready to mail in my motor tag as we speak.Should have a new motor in a couple of days.Hope this takes care of it.Thanx everybody,
    Greg