View Poll Results: Percent of time in shop Woodworking as compared to SMC time Discussing Woodworking

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% to 30% Shop time to SMC Time

25 29.41%
  • 31% to 60% Shop time to SMC Time

20 23.53%
  • Over 60 % shop time to SMC time

39 45.88%
  • More TV / Snack time and its none of my business!

1 1.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your woodworking to SMC talking ratio...poll

I feel compeled to justify my >60% answer. As of late, last 6 months, I've been working on some large projects for LOML. These have been very time consuming in the design, implementation and execution. I've been doing 12er's in the shop on the weekends to play catchup. At one time she actually told me that I should convert the ENTIRE GARAGE into a shop because she saw how much extra work it was for me to work in such a small area.
    I'm actually looking forward to reversing the ratio, and since it snowed last night, and has been getting colder I'll really have to hustle to get everything done before it really turns to winter.
    By the way, how low in temperature can a wiping varnish be applied?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Frank,
    It counts...that is hard work and it is woodworking related...that is an amazing % wow!
    I don't think it is amazing when you consider that I am retired and woodworking right now is both my job and my main hobby. I just did a sanity check on the 90% by thinking more about how I spent my time last week.

Woodworking: 66 hours (91.6%)

-workshop construction -52 hours

-woodworking projects (toy box for my grandson and pine chest for my granddaughter) -11 hours

-planning for a Murphy bed in our guest room -3 hours
    On-line woodworking reading and writing: 6 hours (8.4%)

-Saw Mill Creek -5 hours

-other -1 hour

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    Okay, here's my story.. Shop Time = 1%. I'm a reserve airline pilot based 1000 miles from my shop. So most of my time is spent on "standby" or in a hotel with my laptop computer, web surfing. In fact right now I'm wasting away today in a hotel in Boise, ID. When I do get home 1-2 days a week I have very little time to get anything done.

What about a small type of project that you could take with you, like carving. I know that implies sharp objects, but I'd think you could check those through.

My free time for at least 1/2 a year has been tied up working on my Dad's place. Now that it's winter, I'll be getting back to working around the house once I get caught back up at work and accomplish a few things I need to get through there. My wife is going to expect to spend some time with her on the evenings she doesn't work and I'll be working late on the other weekends. Like some others, I won't do "woodworking" when I'm tired, but I've got so much shop cleanup and machine setup to do that I'll be busy for a while.

Okay, justification time:

Work: 45-60 hours a week but check SMC daily

School: 10-15 hours a week finishing up my Bachelors degree

Dog training: 5-10 hours week, depending on mood

Driving back and forth to work: 10 hours a week (average)

Flying small planes, trying to build time: 2-4 hours a week but varies

Woodworking: somewhere in between all of that, I'm still finishing up the shop interior
    Brian Austin
    Phoenix, AZ

"Rule One: Well, I won't get it done sittin' here drinking coffee.
    Rule Two: The best you can do is the best you can do, so don't panic."
    -- John Gierach

I consider the carpentry needed to refurbish my house and build my shed as wood working. Why shouldn't it be? It requires the same basic tools, materials and skills. Carpentry just happens to be on a much larger scale. This could make a very interesting thread by itself. Any takers?

I'm currently spending 2/3 of my weekend working on the shed. I try to get in a couple hours every week on other wood working projects.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 11-13-2004 at 6:48 PM.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    What about a small type of project that you could take with you, like carving. I know that implies sharp objects, but I'd think you could check those through.
    My fun projects that have been on hold require machining small parts with a scroll saw and a pen lathe. I've thought about making the peices in the apartment in Denver and bringing them home to assemble... Just can't swing a scrollsaw right now 'cuz there's a new tablesaw comin' (to my home shop)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    I consider the carpentry needed to refurbish my house and build my shed as wood working. Why shouldn't it be?
    Because its work, that's why! I'm doing the same and can't wait to quit playing with drywall, mud, texture, tile, thinset mortor, paint, dust, insulation, electricity, copper, plumbing, grouting, cleaning messes, landscape, dirt, rocks, concrete, yada yada yada.... But I did buy lots of new toys out of the deal! I'd much rather play with wood... Never again...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Scott Parks]Tyler, maybe I missed something, but I got the impression you spend more time buying tools!

Yah Scott! Gotta have the right one......or 2 or 5 or ten. But it is a tool in my hand, including the Credit card.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Let's see:

During the work week, I tend to be around computers a lot and so have easy access to the web and thus SMC. Say 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week.

It is VERY rare that I post or even go near a computer during the weekend as that is my shop time/family time/running around time/mostly remodel garage time. So figure 12 hours a weeknd working on the shop.

I also try to work 1-2 hours per workday so call it 8 hours per work week.

So that is 50 hours per 7-day week on SMC and 20 hours per 7-day week working on the shop/projects. ...or something like that!

Looks like a bit under 30% of the time is ww'ing....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Were it not for real easy, all day access to SMC at work, I would easily be over th 60%. With all this house stuff, I probably punch in 20+/hrs. just on weekend for those projects!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Lots of posts John....lots! I know you are making some great stuff though!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Were it not for real easy, all day access to SMC at work, I would easily be over th 60%. With all this house stuff, I probably punch in 20+/hrs. just on weekend for those projects!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I work...the paid kind...about 10-12 hours a day. Then...most nights...I come home to partake in another hobby...I cook. That means I get very little shop time during the week. Most of the time is near a computer, we have three at home and I have 2 at work, so SMC is available all the time. Only on weekends do I get much shop time and mostly during the winter months. I guess I just need to retire, eh?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Glenn,

Or just work a lot less if possible...I am shooting for 3 days a week...it is hard when you are busy..
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

To be honest, SMC is not the only woodworking related website I use to browse every day. So overall I definitely spend more time talking and reading about woodworking than performing work.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)