Thread: Moffat Light - hey, it's for the lathes!

Moffat Light - hey, it's for the lathes!

Not directly turning related, but it's going to be used on my lathes, so...I have been looking for a decent task light for quite a while now. Have tried stand lights, 'clip-on' halogens - way too hot. Had the (similar to this) Delta, it got damaged by vibration. Trashed. Not this one; appears to be a very well made light. No 'Sanders' stand - didn't want to spend 3 times the cost of one lamp for a stand to hold it - so I got the 'C' clamp version which will mount on a stud near the lathe. Will let you know how it works when I get the chance to put a 'rough service' bulb in it and actually plug it in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, I have a Moffat Light mounted on my lathe and it works great!

How carries this light's? look's to have a log neck,i would like to try one.

I have 3 of them. I'm very happy with how they work. They are constructed so that the shade doesn't get hot.

For those you who are looking for lathe lighting I suggest that if you have florescent lighting, you should have incandescent task lights. Florescent light doesn't cast enough shadow to see the sanding scratches. You think that you have it right, then you get the piece into natural light or incandescent light and the scratches pop out. Bad news.

Wally

I'd love to see a photo of it mounted up on the lathe... I've been thinking about getting something like this.

TwiN Moffatts Rock.

I simply copied ideas from Phillip Morris at the Creek and Vaughn on another site. Their ideas worked so well!! Additional pics posted here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopsh...ectionForLathe#

Wanting to give credit to where it is truly deserved, I have acknowledged in the pics.

The Moffatt lights are GREAT and 2 are better than one !! If you have advanced retinopathy, you'll get this right away !!

Best regards,
    Dick Mahany.

I think you can order them direct from the company, or I know Craft Supplies carries them. 2 foot long bendable arm, can reach just about everything I turn. One minor problem is that dust can get into the switch, and make it not work. I have heard that if you send them back in, they will be fixed.

robo hippy

Rockler Version

24'' Snake Arm Shop Light $30 Free shipping if you are an AAW member (see member page on AAW site for coupon code) works well for me and seem very well built. I got two. Rubber encased switch has survived dust so far.
    Jerry Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Snowden View Post
    How carries this light's? look's to have a log neck,i would like to try one.
    Robert, couldn't find them on the CS website until I found what they call the 'stay put work lamp'; also, if you go to http://www.moffattproducts.com/ you'll find them. A little expensive, but I like it alot after just one use. I'll be checking into the one Rockler sells, thought - if it is as sturdy, it's alot less money. mike

Coolshade from WT Tools, $44

I plan to buy a couple of these http://www.wttool.com/category-exec/category_id/14901 , from WT Tool.

I constructed one using a lamp bought under name, Danray, from Amazon a few months back and paid about $55 for it then...I think more right now, so the WT Tools version looks to be Moffatt and same quality, and cool to touch. So for about $75 total, had my own pseudo-Sanders light stand...not elegant...but gets job done.

I like what Dick Mahany did on his, nice looking job. If you don't have capability to make some of that sort of fixture...here's what I did using off the shelf electrical conduit stuff from Home Depot and mounted on the lathe where the lathe guard normally would go.

Moffat Lights

I have tried many ideas for lighing on the large lath; and finally settle on the Moffat light since I use Mofffat lights on the drill press and band saw. I have a Oneway 2436 and went with Oneway setup for the lights. Every since - I love the setup. I also have tracking lights in the high ceiling. The only problem I have had is BURNT SHAVING (!!!) even with green wood. I tap the lights every now and than to knock out the shaving which are burnt. No fires yet and I make sure that all the dust is out with air hose before I leave the shop for the day.