Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power tool brand

Power tool brand

Due to a recent move and theft i know longer have many of my handheld power tools, and am in need to replace them, I do run a business with my tools, But not a full cabinet shop. Mainly 4-5 cabs a week.

I do like some of festool stuff (there plunge circular saw is nice) but i cant bring myself to pay the price. Nor can i at the moment. I was looking into Porter Cable as they have had a good track record and never been let down. But am concerned now the Black and Decker has got a hold of them if quality had suffered.

brands im looking at are

Porter Cable
    Hitachi
    Bosch

I am brand specific so for the most part most my tools will be the same brand unless i find something i cant live without.

But am concerned now the Black and Decker has got a hold of them if quality had suffered.
    Ryobi &/or HF - IMHO- offer a better value to price ratio than PC does anymore.

@ least w/those two, you know from the getgo you're buying junk.

I don't personally own any PC anymore, and that's all I'll say about that. I've had good luck with both Hitachi and Bosch, but I've had good luck with a lot of different brands as well depending on the specific tool. If you came up with a list of what needs to be replaced, I'm sure you'll get a zillion responses for each item that will help you hone in on what you need.

Sorry that you have to go through what you're going through.

In my opinion Porter Cable has fell since the B&D takeover.

My handheld power tools are a large majority Milwaukee with more and more Bosch showing up. I have not had problems with either and impressed every time I use them.

My brother really liked Hitachi a couple years ago, but he has since shifted into Milwaukee and Bosch. He said the Hitachi was great but didn't hold up like he wanted.

Josh

I'd look at each tool individually rather than looking for a brand. The exception would be that if you are going to invest in a cordless system, find one that you like and stick with that so you can share batteries.

I have had good luck with Bosch, older Porter Cable (and some of their classic tools, though in the new color scheme, seem to be exactly the same -- the PC 690, 890, and their belt sanders).

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Matt. the days of brand loyalty are pretty much gone unless you are looking at a narrow slice of offerings. Everyone seems to like their Bosch jigsaws, Milwaukee's Sawzall is still hanging in there, Milwaukee routers have done well by me, DeWalt's corded drills are still nice enough for my use, oddly Ridgid's small lithium drill motors are my new favorite. Rather than try to get your tools to match in color, perhaps a list of the types of tools you are after will get you a more accurate response from folks(?).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-13-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Ryobi &/or HF - IMHO- offer a better value to price ratio than PC does anymore.

@ least w/those two, you know from the getgo you're buying junk.
    Ok, sorry...but that made me spray my monitor with coffee!

If you are going to be brand specific I say Makita. Their tools rock. Every one I have picked up recently I have been impressed with.

Bosch is good overall but some of their tools are a little off, specifically their worm drive (plate is always twisted out of the box) and their plunge router.

I agree with Glenn. It seems each company has an area that they shine. Brand loyalty will most likely get you a crappy tool sometime down the road. Especially Ryobi - they just want to get you a cheap tool that may or may not kill and/or dismember you.

The Ridgid stuff I own I like, but there are many Ridgid tools I wouldn't consider. I own their, SCMS (2), portable TS, chop saw, cordless combo pack (hammer drill, recip saw, circ saw)

I don't like the direction Porter Cable is headed. I would put in a vote to look at Makita also.

Hi Robert.

When we built our home back in 2002, the framing crew would only use Makita circular saws, and De Walt miter saws. The man who ran the framing crew claimed that they got the best service out the Makita. They also used the inexpensive Marathon blades from Home Depot. They worked well, and when they got dull, new ones were available at any HD.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have good experiences with Makita tools. If you like the Festool plunge circular saw, Makita makes one too that cost less money (and can use the same Festool track, or Makita's own track). That's near the top of my wish list (right after the Incra LS system).

Bosch, makita and Milwaukee. If I haven't broken them, you probably can't. :-) I am clumsy and hard on tools.
    Paul

It really depends on the individual tool. Sawzall you can't beat the Milwaukee; small circular saws, the older PC; random orbit and 1/4 sheet sanders, the older PC; worm-drive stay with the original; jigsaw, Bosch. These have been my choices, used professionally for many years with great service and durability.

I vote for not being locked into one brand! I personnaly looked for the biggest bang-for-the-buck I can/am willing to afford/spend at the time. I have tools from HF and I have DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Bosch, Craftsman etc.... etc... etc...
    I usually research the heck out of things before I buy, and I haven't regretted a single purchase, except for the jig saw I cheaped out on and went with a B&D... horrible tool! But, I don't use a jig saw too often, but maybe if I had a nice Bosch I would use it more!!!