Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you sand your MDF?

Interesting, I have not used that much MDF; I like wood, not MDF; I have used it for jigs etc. I never really tried to seal it more than one coat of shellac.

Thanks for the info...
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 04-17-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    My 2lb cut dries in about 20 minutes regardless of coats. The DNA gasses off and the solids are left behind. I've never had any for more than about 6 months before replenishing. Could the slow drying stuff be old?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    Interesting, I have not used that much MDF; I like wood, not MDF; I have used it for jigs etc. I never really tried to seal it more than one coat coat of shellac.

Thanks for the info...
    not my favorite stuff but I cut a lot of it on my cnc router. made a 11' guitar out of it.
    but so far yellow glue seals and lets you sand the edge smooth fast. about the only one coat solution I have found.
    I have been making a lot of molds for sign plastic forming from it this week.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing