Thread: WHere do you get your burls?

WHere do you get your burls?

I have seen a lot of beautiful pieces of wood on this forum, but I'm not sure where everyone gets the burls that they use. I've not had any luck finding any in the wild, so I'm hoping to find out where you prefer to buy it. I know that there are several different online sources, but which ones would you recommend?

I'm not looking for any specific burl, but want to start looking to see what's out there. TIA.

Matt

I haven't collected many myself, but since the interest in turning has really turned up over this last year, I'm looking a bit more. If you want to pay, and if there's a woodcraft store nearby, that's a source. And from what I've read, there's a few folks on the board that have some they might let go. I've also got lots of eyes looking for me.

I've also got folks now telling me when they cut a tree down, or telling me where one is so I can look at it. And just a couple of weeks ago, I helped a friend turn a bowl (first time he'd ever worked on a lathe, he'd always wanted to). He's a real outdoors kind of guy and I told him that he will never, ever look at a tree quite the same now. He just laughed. Two days later I got a call from him saying that he was "down in the bottom, swampy land and found this really gnarly looking tree, when I saw it I thought I saw a bowl or two in it like you were talking about."

Long story short, he and I went to look at it, and sure enough, it's about a 30" diameter maple, down in the bottom, and all sorts of gnarly looking knobs all over it, top to bottom. If not burly, it sure should be great looking grain. Got another man, a police officer, who is now watching all over his beat for burls...and he's found some for me at some new construction sites...if the economy ever comes back where they begin to clear the land, I'll get those too! Lots of eyes out and about really helps!

Matt, the Big Leaf Maple burls that I have used came from Mike Smith at http://www.easternncwoodworkers.com/

Jeff Nicol may also have burls from time to time, and you may want to check with him.

I previously purchased a shipment of Australian burls, and while they are beautiful, they are just simply too hard for my patience and taste. I sold them to another creeker.

I've bought quite a few on eBay - some Aussie, some domestic.

I have found really nice burls on eBay but... I don't much like biding so I get most of mine locally and some from online retailers that said I like the selection from global wood source. http://www.globalwoodsource.com/

When I Needed Money...

and I wanted to turn wood, I learned how to find quality wood, including burls.
    What I am about to tell you SHOULD get you more local burl material than you could know what to do with.

1. Learn what burls are commonly available in your area. Dendrology at VA Tech is GREAT for tree availability in the lower 48 and there are TONS of state and federal resources if you are knowledge hungry.
    2. Contact every arborist, logger, City, County and State road and park director you can think of (with the understanding that many/most will not pan out).
    3. SAY (repeatedly) that you are willing to pay, turn an item and/or donate to a worthy cause to get what you want.
    4. Show some of your work, tell them how important it is to recycle, reuse and protect our vital resources.
    5. Oddly, be prepared to teach these people what you want and why... Loggers often leave burls laying in the sites they work or throw them into burn piles because they don't know who to take them to.
    6. Be prepared to go when they call... Assume that the first few runs might not result in burls, BUT:

In one load, from a logger in my area, for $150, I got over 200 pounds of cherry burl, red maple burl, birch burl some unknown burls and hop hornbeam burl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Guadiane; 04-14-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Change One Thing

mostly from australianburls.com in chesapeake, va - not associated, just a happy customer!

http://www.burlsource.com/

This guy has a lot of very nice stuff. He ships it also.
    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'

Backstage at a burlesque show?
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Backstage at a burlesque show?
    THAT is funny.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Well, I have this recurring dream in which ...........

I have been very lucky when it comes to pretty wood for turning. I've put the word out with everyone that I am looking for burls and wood. The last two large Oak burls I got where actually cut and dropped off at my shop. All I had to do is make a bowl or two for payment. I guess it does pay to live in a small town where most everyone knows or knows of you.
    Jack

13. I've got some Aussie burls and slabs from Double Dog Burl. Great guy to deal with, although the website isn't always current.

H.

http://www.doubledogburl.com/

This is the first half of today's haul:

I cut these at the site and brought home just the stuff that has burl on it...
    It is Spanish or Chinese Elm burl... In the truck is my Husky 46 with a 20 inch bar. I cut the burls a little heavy so that I could have a good tenon if I want to go bark edge.

All in all, probably 500 to 700 pounds of nice burl.
    The cost on this and the oak burl I'll get this afternoon and tomorrow, one bowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Change One Thing