Thread: Bandsaw Walking Stick

Bandsaw Walking Stick

Hi everyone
    LOML wanted me to make her a new walking stick. Had to be a minimum of 44” long but my lathe can only take stock 40” plus she wanted it made from a couple of different woods and it had to taper from 1 1/4”- 1”.
    Using what I had learned from making my pen blank jig I went ahead and made a new jig for making round blanks using my bandsaw. The jig had to be capable of holding the blank securely on the centers but at the same time allowing the blank to be rotated as it was passed through the saw. It also had to be attached to the fence of the saw to provide accurate cuts each time it was sent through and retracted, plus it had to be adjustable for different lengths and diameters of stock. Here is what I came up with.
    The stationary part of the jig attaches to the fence and has a groove routed that accepts the movable part that the blank attaches to and is able to slide back and forth along the entire length. The blank is attached to the supports using screws that are centered in the blank and are spaced using rubber washers to hold it from rotating while the cut is made. The taper is made by moving the far end of the blank support and securing with screws .
    Once the blank is loaded onto the jig it is just a matter of slicing off a section then retracting, rotate ,slice and retract and so on until the blank is perfectly round.

The blank is made from 2 pieces of bloodwood and 2 pieces of fishtail oak glued together to make a blank 1 1/2 sq x 44” long.

Rounded blank after multiple passes through saw.

The next step of the process was figuring out how to sand the roughed out blank to remove the saw marks. I normally would use the lathe for this step but because of the length of the blank it won’t fit so the next best thing is to make a sanding jig.
    I began by making a mounting bracket to hold my electric drill which holds a 5/16” hex head driver.
    A 5/16” hex head screw is then screwed into the end of the blank and acts as the center drive.

For the other end I used an old 1/4” router bit with a 3/8” bearing drilled into the end of the blank with the shaft end drilled into the support and secured to the bench.

After the set up is complete it’s just a matter of sanding through the grits until the shaft is smooth.

I went ahead and turned the knob for the top out of fishtail oak and bloodwood and attached it by turning a 3/8” tenon as part of the knob and drilling a 3/8” hole in the shaft.

So here is the finished Bandsaw walking stick. I still have to get a ferrule for the bottom and add a leather strap but this was a fun little project .LOML was very pleased. Think I’ll make a few more.
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

Very well done. That goes in my scrapbook of future ideas.

How many times did you have to run the stick past the blade to get it acceptably round? Did you do an even 4,8,16,32, or just eyeball it?

Another question, does the stick want to rotate as it goes by the blade? How do you prevent that?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Hi John
    I start off by knocking off the 4 corners then do that again which now becomes an 8 sided shaft. Then it is a matter of rotating it slightly as many times as it takes until it is as round as possible. Probably 25-30 times. Takes less than 5 minutes to get to this point.
    To keep the blank from rotating during the cut. I use a rubber washer compressed between the blank and the supports held in place on the centering screws. Works real good as it does allow for turning the blank when needed without loosening the screws.
    Thanks for asking
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

Very cool idea - ingenious! The finished stick looks terrific. You definitely need to make more - thanks for a great project!

Mike,

Very nice stick and a great patent on the jig. What do you use for a ferrule on your sticks?

Ray
    Just trying to learn

I am impressed!! Slick!

Very kewel project!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And what about the shop floor?

I love the walking stick, and appreciate how you improvised with the drill. Tell me about your shop floor. Utility Hickory?

Mike,

I love seeing 5 cent solutions to 5 dollar problems. Fuss free, inexpensive, and elegant. Good show!

Cheers,

Seth
    Play drums!