Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fence Replacement

Blog Entries

Fence Replacement

I'm going to replace the fence faces on my G0691 with a piece of corian and had a couple of questions. One is extreme n00bness on my part and I'm looking for some sound ideas.

1) What is a good way to lay out the drill points so that they match the fence? Measuring is the obvious first conclusion I came to, but was wondering if there other more sure fire ways of doing that. I tried using the existing fence faces but the problem is... they flex and stretch. I used them to layout the current fence (plywood) and a few of the holes were misaligned enough to cause issues bolting it down using all the fasteners.

2) Will this cut ok on my saw or should I replace my WWII blade with something cheaper to prevent it from damaging my blade? If I do that... do I need to worry about chip out or anything like that?

The place I got it from use a delta unisaw with a forrest blade, so I'm guessing it should be ok - but you guys haven't steered me wrong yet, so I thought I'd lean on your experience.

Thanks in advance!

I can't understand why a woodworker puts plastic faces on a fence. Wood works perfectly well, is nicer to work with, is readily available, and is less expensive. Corian's big virtue is that it is waterproof, which doesn't help on a saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I can't understand why a woodworker puts plastic faces on a fence. Wood works perfectly well, is nicer to work with, is readily available, and is less expensive. Corian's big virtue is that it is waterproof, which doesn't help on a saw.

thanks for the helpful information.

It is dead flat, slicker than snail snot, and stable.

Use your old fence face as the template. Make sure the face is up on both pieces (Corian does have a top and bottom). Drill a pilot hole in one corner, put a screw through it, then move to the far corner and do the same. That way all the others will stay aligned as you drill them. You will want to use one of the special bits that fits the hole diameter, but drills a smaller hole so that you can come back with a forstner bit to drill the recesses, then drill the proper diameter hole for the screw to go through. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Don't know just thinkin' out loud, but isn't the corian more stable? I'd assume it would be less likely to ding, warp, cup, bow, etc. in general over time? I think it's obviously nice to work with wood when we can but sometime synthetic materials do have practical advantages especially when the aesthetics don't matter so much.

As to the OP's question, I'd probably try and make a template that spanned all of the holes available. Set bolts backwards hold them in place with nuts, "color" the ends of the bolts with a sharpie and quickly (before it can dry) push my soon-to-be template against the bolts to leave marks. That way you can test the fit and adjust as necessary on scraps. Also within reason you could make the through holes a little over-sized anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Warta View Post
    ...Don't know just thinkin' out loud, but isn't the corian more stable?....
    It is more stable than wood with respect to humidity. However, it is less stable with respect to temperature. I think neither effect is likely to be an issue when it is bolted to a big piece of steel.

Blog Entries
    What is your saw made of?

It is more stable than wood with respect to humidity. However, it is less stable with respect to temperature. I think neither effect is likely to be an issue when it is bolted to a big piece of steel.
    That's interesting to hear, like I said I didn't know but had assumed it would be more stable. It's always good to know how materials react to their environment. When you say less stable with regard to temperature, do you mean it warps, or expands linearly on it's accesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    What is your saw made of?
    Do you have a Corian table on your saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Warta View Post
    That's interesting to hear, like I said I didn't know but had assumed it would be more stable. It's always good to know how materials react to their environment. When you say less stable with regard to temperature, do you mean it warps, or expands linearly on it's accesses?
    It expands in all directions, if you slot the screw holes at either end you will negate any expansion effects. Its COE is less than the HDPE Grizzly puts on the fence.

Here is how I would do it:
    1) Cut the corian to size.
    2) Put the corian on your table saw wing, put the old fence on the corian being careful to make sure back of the old fence is on the front of the new corian.
    3) clamp it down using many clamps but being careful to not obstruct access to the holes.
    4) use a transfer punch of the same diameter of the through hole (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...92&cat=1,43456) or a brad point bit of the same diameter to mark the hole locations.
    5) take it to your drill press and cut the relief holes with a forstner bit
    6) drill the through holes

Note that corian blows out really bad when drilling (or at least the stuff I had did). So be careful when you are breaking through and also make sure the back is supported. I just made a ZCI for my 691 out of corian .

Salem

Without trying not sound like a dummy is this the same Corian as counter tops. The reason I ask is I was at the borg the other day and Corian is hard. Not something I would cut with my table saw. So I must be thinking of the wrong stuff right?

Blog Entries
    I'll keep the blow-out thing in mind... I've got enough left over to make a ZCI with. I might have to give that a try. did you provide enough clearance for the riving knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullie Templet View Post
    Without trying not sound like a dummy is this the same Corian as counter tops. The reason I ask is I was at the borg the other day and Corian is hard. Not something I would cut with my table saw. So I must be thinking of the wrong stuff right?

Same stuff, and I called a few places around town and all said it was safe to use on the tablesaw. In fact all of them did use their tablesaw. I switched to a cheaper blade (still sharp) just because I wanted to be safe though.

I have mine cut to length now. Just need a smaller forstner bit. I'm going to go the oversized hole route using the original face as a template. It was close - just a few holes didn't line up perfectly. Very well could have been my drilling technique too. I think I did that one freehand.

Where did you buy yours? Online or locally? I need to redo my fences also. Am I correct that you can run it through you jointer and planer also if needed? Thanks !!!