Thread: Making a Hexagon?

Making a Hexagon?

I am making a hexagon (six sided shape) raised flower garden out of timbers. I need to know what angle to cut each side at to get the shape. My calculation is hitting 60 degrees but I have a total brain fart right now and I can't think of a formula to double check that. Any ideas?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

divide 360 degrees by the number of sides and that's the angle.

6 sides = 60

8 sides = 45

12 sides = 30

Duh!!!!

Thanks Christopher. Long week and it's only Wednesday.... Im trying to make this crazy formula up and its that simple. Much thanks!

the answer is 30 deg

6 sides in a polygon, sum of angles in a polygon = 360 deg.
    360 divide by 6 = 60 deg Miter angle is 1/2 of the angle. 60 deg divide by 2 = 30 deg
    Here is a link to the lazy way wood working calculators
    http://www.delorie.com/wood/

Outside angle

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Kanda View Post
    divide 360 degrees by the number of sides and that's the angle.

6 sides = 60

8 sides = 45

12 sides = 30

That is the angle of the outside corners the miter angle is half that.
    cut miters at 45 deg and the result is a 90 deg corner. The angles you posted will work for lap joints. I guess it is a matter of what kind of corner joint is wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knapp View Post
    That is the angle of the outside corners the miter angle is half that.
    cut miters at 45 deg and the result is a 90 deg corner. The angles you posted will work for lap joints. I guess it is a matter of what kind of corner joint is wanted.
    60* should be right to get a hexagon. A hexagon is six equalateral/equiangular triangles. That means a triangle with each corner at 60*. So each piece should be cut at 60*. You may be measuring off vertical, so maybe we are talking past each other, because 60+30 = 90, which is a right angle.(1)

I would agree, however, that if you cut 45* miters, you'll end up with a square, not an 8 sided object.

(1) if you put cut a piece of wood with a miter gauge set at 90* (normal), you end up with a square cut. I'm thinking that if you set the miter gauge at 30* off the base setting of 90*, you will end up with a piece of wood that has a 60* angle. I'm talking about the angle the wood should end up at, not where you set the miter gauge.
    Last edited by Eric DeSilva; 04-14-2010 at 6:03 PM.

Thomas is absolutely right, but after many years of making outdoor structures, I would not miter the joint. All miters open up outside. Cut them at 60 degrees and do butt joints.

Sorry, got it all done by the time anyone else replied. I knew if the angle was 60 then I needed to go 30 degrees out to have the right angle. Butted up nice and when i get em coated and mulched I'll post some pics of it. Came out really quick and looks great.

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    Sorry, got it all done by the time anyone else replied. I knew if the angle was 60 then I needed to go 30 degrees out to have the right angle. Butted up nice and when i get em coated and mulched I'll post some pics of it. Came out really quick and looks great.

I'm glad that it worked out for you!

Right you are.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Thomas is absolutely right, but after many years of making outdoor structures, I would not miter the joint. All miters open up outside. Cut them at 60 degrees and do butt joints.
    Treated lumber isn't usually dry, when it shrinks the heels of the miter open up and look like sh*t. I'm glad you brought that up. I'm so used to miter joints, that didn't come to mind.