Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats your best buy at Harbor Freight?

Whats your best buy at Harbor Freight?

Ok, so what did you buy at Harbor Freight and relaized it was the best deal you ever had.....

To date, the HF 2HP DC. Got it a couple yrs ago when on sale for $119, less a 20% coupon, $100 out the door. Deal?...or No Deal? DEAL!!
    John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

6" digital caliper is very good. Watch for $9.99 coupon.

They have what they call a cycle tree (#2628). It's a rack on wheels that can hold several bicycles hanging by their rear wheels in only about 2 ft square. I noticed them at $50, but once I saw them in the catalog for $30 so I went down to look, and the store price was $17. It works well, saves a lot of garage space, and appears to be an original design.

That can't beat the 2 HP DC for $100 though.

The 38142 13" DP for $144 has been a good purchase for me.

Those Pittsburg bar clamps for $2, $3, and $4 are a good bargain too.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Ratcheting tie downs when they're on sale for $1.99.

6" digital caliper with coupon. belt sander with coupon. 16' small measuring tape with coupon.

I basically look for coupons anywhere in the woodworking space, and conisder stocking up even if I don't need it. Then often I have second thoughts or just can't get there that week... I thought about the pin nailer, but I read some posts saying that it missed the pin when firing. I am looking for the next coupon on clams.

Note to HF: stop it with the 1-ton chain hoist and the collapsible animal trap... no one wants that! (now if they had a beekeepers suit, I know someone who might bite on that.)

Evaporust!

Well, it's not cheap, but they actually have it there and for smaller stuff, I've found nothing that beats it.
    Dan

i have got a small lathe , 2hp DC,4"belt 6"disc sander. all 3 has been really good for the money. right now in WOOD mag. they have a coupon for the sander for 49.99 .

The old style Pittsburgh bar clamps (chromed bar) for 2, 3 or 4 dollars. The new ones with the black bars are ----. I haven't bought one, but other than the switch that goes out everyone I know likes the dust collector.
    And now for something completely different....

trim routers

The trim routers that you can pick up for $20 on sale have lasted for me. The collet wrenches are poor steel but for $20 you can afford a couple wrenches. I have 4 that are dedicated to the bits they have in them 1 keyhole for hanging clocks, 1 with a 1/8 rounder for an ease, one with a 45 degree chamfer, and one with a flush trimmer. I have a PC for the rest oif the bits that I switch in and out of.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

You didn't really specify woodworking . . . so I'm going to say the 4 1/2" angle grinder for $9.99. I cut slate for a sidewalk with it and sanded my whole house with a flap disc when I painted it a few years ago.

Their nail guns have performed well for me too. The framing nailer when I redid my basement and the pin nailer that I use here and there in woodworking projects.

I'm also a fan of the $4.99 set of screwdrivers that I can put on every floor of the house and in the garage. When you're lazy like me, you don't want to have to go down to the shop to get a screwdriver. :-)

-Brian

I have been pretty impressed with the chainsaw sharpener. Picked it up for $32 with a coupon.

I have bought a few power and hand tools there over the years, and have been disappointed in most.

I have gotten some great deals on tarps, gloves, moving blankets, etc. The clamps mentioned about are a good deal, and quite serviceable.

The 50' 3/8" retractable air hose/reel about $60 with a coupon.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 04-15-2010 at 1:15 AM.

The pocket hole jig is great I like it better than the Kreg.Also I love my dovetail jig.Though the jig doesn't come with instructions.