Thread: black walnut question

black walnut question

I have some black walnut, rough cut some 1 inch think, some 1-1/4 thick, some a little thicker. It has been air-dried for about 15 years.

I'm guessing I have about four to seven thousand board feet. Lenghts are from about 12 feet down to 3feet.
    Any ideas on how I could get this to somoene who could do the most and best with it and also a fair price for me? Thanks Lewis

list it on woodweb - in the lumber section

lou

Grade means everything with walnut. For most folks, knots and walnut do not go well together in furniture, though there are those projects that it will work.

If it is clear wood, you will not have any trouble getting it sold. I buy from craigslist, as well. Air dried walnut is superior to kiln dried IMO.

Lewis,

Width, and how well the wood was dried (is it straight and flat?) are other factors that influence price, along with defects such as knots, splits, etc. If you've got FAS (Firsts and Seconds), which means pretty much defect free, you can ask a lot more than if you have No. 1 or 2 common, although there could be a lot of good, usable shorter pieces in a board that needs knots cut around.

Lewis, being the kind and supportive group of woodmongers that we are, I am surprised that someone has not offered to help you 'evaluate' the quality, for a modest 'fee'.

On the serious side, you have some reasonably valuable wood to someone, and they will be glad to have it, I am sure. Air-dried is definately good looking stuff.

Wish I lived closer!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

about a 4 hour drive for me ... tempting

I sure wish that I lived closer.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Four to seven THOUSAND board feet?

Sell it to a local dealer.

I'd grade it myself, though. The guidelines for grading are pretty straight forward.

I sell air dried walnut on Craigslist. The Fall of the year is when most people contact me for wood. If you want to move it fast, then discount the price. Otherwise, you will be dealing with a passle of people who will want to come get just enough for a single project, and all that people interaction is amazingly time consuming. At $1.00 - $2.00/BF it should move pretty fast. At $3.00 - $4.00/BF it will sell, just slowly.

Don't forget, Greenville has the woodworkers guild...they might be able to help you out?
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.